Marriage - options forwife of a GC holder to come to the US

sushilkumar

Registered Users (C)
I am a GC holder and am going to be getting married this July with a girl from India. My understanding is that my wife can only come to the US on a L1 or H1B. I am looking at the option of my wife coming on a F1 visa. If she can get admission into a US college before we get married and get a F1 visa, will the F1 get effected once she declares after July that her marital status has changed? Basically the next time she goes to India on her F1, will immigration not allow her back if she has married a GC holder? Thanks for your insights.

sushilkumar said:
I am a GC holder and am going to be getting married this July with a girl from India. My understanding is that my wife can only come to the US on a L1 or H1B. I am looking at the option of my wife coming on a F1 visa. If she can get admission into a US college before we get married and get a F1 visa, will the F1 get effected once she declares after July that her marital status has changed? Basically the next time she goes to India on her F1, will immigration not allow her back if she has married a GC holder? Thanks for your insights.

It is not completely true that your wife can only come on H1B or L1.

if you get married to her you can file GC for her in Dependent/spouse category. but waiting time is much more ( i.e. around 5 years ).

Yes. It is part of the Happy Family Program. It is a great program that helps the marriage bond to grow. You are seperated from your spouse for 5 years, then she can come and join you. You will immediately see that your marriage has grown so much.

And then you will be forever thankful to have participated in such a great program!

Once you become a citizen you will then then have the option to vote for extensions of this program. This way more people can participate automatically. You will then be able to create a better place for yourself and others.

H1-B would be best choice. If you are not married yet, F-1 is ok. Once F-1 is approved, marriage happened, you come to USA, file I-130 and wait for 5 years...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great input.. Is there any harm in sponsoring H1B or L1 for my wife through my own company in the US? I have heard that they don't like it if you sponsor your spouse.

Between H1B and L1 are there any views you guys have on which one I should I go for? I can apply for both H1B or L1 through my compnay since I have operations in the US and India.