Marriage in USA

zombie72

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks,

I am currently in October RD I-485 case type. I have filed currently in "Single" status.

I am planning to get married.(I know its kinda late since I have already recvd my RFE). :(

Both of us are here in US,having Valid visa status(H1B).I know the "follow to join" procedure holds good till my I-485 case type is approved.

My questions are:
1. can I get registered marriage here in US?
2. Does INS accept the above marriage certificate for my spouse to add on?
3. What is the procedure for getting married here in US? I have heard that we have "Get-in Get-out" marriage in las vegas.. Does it hold good enough and quick enough.
4. If getting married here in US is ruled out, What are the procedure to get married in india (am from chennai-based)?

RD:10/09/01
ND:11/24/01
RFE:01/10/03
Response dead line: 04/07/2003

Thanks,
~Mad

Originally posted by zombie72
Hi Folks,

I am currently in October RD I-485 case type. I have filed currently in "Single" status.

I am planning to get married.(I know its kinda late since I have already recvd my RFE). :(

Both of us are here in US,having Valid visa status(H1B).I know the "follow to join" procedure holds good till my I-485 case type is approved.

My questions are:
1. can I get registered marriage here in US?

Yes
2. Does INS accept the above marriage certificate for my spouse to add on?
Yes
3. What is the procedure for getting married here in US? I have heard that we have "Get-in Get-out" marriage in las vegas.. Does it hold good enough and quick enough.

get the Registered Marriage form the place where you live.

4. If getting married here in US is ruled out, What are the procedure to get married in india (am from chennai-based)?

You can get married in Chennai. You will have to give a notice to the registrar of Marriage (I think 10 days notice), then you show up with your would be and sign the papers.

RD:10/09/01
ND:11/24/01
RFE:01/10/03
Response dead line: 04/07/2003

Thanks,
~Mad

My suggestion would be for you to get the registered marriage done from the county where you live at.

File for AOS for your spouse. Wait till you get the receipt notice for your spouse, then reply for your RFE.

Also talk to an attorney!!

It is easy but needs time.

1) Yes you can get registered marriage in USA

2) You both need to apply (notice) for getting married at local justice administrative office or something like. After 60 days you can go and just sign in the marriage certificate and you are married according to USA.

3) It is very much valid here. I used the certificate for filing I-485. But I got married before filign 485.

Good luck

Thanks

for all your information.

but the only problem is, I dont have a 60 days timeframe as I need to reply for my RFE. :(

Guess,thats leaves my choice to get married only in India. Right?

~Zombie

My case is being processed thru my wife. She had already filed I485 and she lived in Phoenix. I lived in Indiana . I went to Phoenix and got married in just two days......I just went went to county office , took an appointment with judge and got married.
However the original certificate took 2 months to come in my hand as judge sends a notice to the office which issues a marraige certficate lette.
My point is it is not necessary to wait for 60 days ......check out different states rule. it is also not necessary to marry in the same county where you live and INS do accept this certificate ...........
My wife's case has been approved my Rd is 10/22/01 and I expect mine to be approved pretty soon without an RFE as I have been issued EAD and renewed EAD without a problem.
However both you and wife will not get GC simultaneously and your wife would have a different priority date and she would get it later however she would get an EAD immediately.....
It is true that Las vegas has get in get out marraige systema and they give certificate too immediately.....
Good luck !

Hey man,

You better to rush and get married. I was in the same boat as you were, i went to india about 2 months back performed Registered marriage, which they expect 30 days notice.. Dont reply RFE , if you do then you will be screwed big timee. Do it fast.so that you wife will get eligibility to apply I-485.

thanks again

Raja/Bakshi,

Thanks a ton!!! for ur informations...

I will try to find out the procedures from my local county justice admin office and get the details.

Its been clear that I can get married before my GC approval(to make sure I dont reply my RFE) in a short span....

one last quick question for bakshi,

So I dont have to wait for the original marriage certificate (after getting registered marriage in USA), as I can amend my spouse later even after replying for my RFE?

~Zombie

It shouldn't take too long

Depends on where you live, I don't think getting married here will take more than a week. It took us 2 days. One day to get the marriage license. Another one in the church. We got married in Delaware. It is required to get married in front of a civil service person. Otherwise it should only take a day to do that. :)

You should definitely send the marriage certificate with you RFE though.

My lawyer said that a spouse can be added anytime before approval even one day before the approval.
There are two things involved first is to get a marraige license which has sign of judge, witnesses and spouses(after marraige) but INS do not accepts the license as a certificate. The judge sends a copy of license to the count which sends you a certificate and my lawyer wanted that certificate...... so there was 2 and a half month difference betwen my wife's RD 08/06/2001 and mine Rd 10/22/2001. We were married on 08/04/2001 and we got certificate on 10/06/2001.
However License is accepted by SSA and everywhere else as a proof of marraige but if you send license to INS they will generate an RFE for your wife.
Some state require 30-60 day for even license. some give license immediately. As soon as you get the license you can get married. Almost all states take 30-60 days for the certificate however I have heard that in Las vegas they give you license, certificate everything right away as judges, county-officials all are there on a single window.
Good luck once again !

Thanks...

... a ton to everyone.

I am pretty much clear right now (except finding a bride).. hee hee just kidding!!!

I will anyway talk to my lawyer and update you guys about it.

Thanks again to everyone.

~Zombie

Forgot to mention the most important of all!

Man, relax and enjoy it. It's amazing that so many things in our lives get the GC twist. Congratulations to you and your beloved!