Marriage Fraud

1. Marrying a foreigner who is out of status.
2. Not wishing to tell family about you
3. Age. You being older and whiter.
4. Him being younger.

Obviously you know something isnt right

Did they directly ask you for money without his knowledge or consent? Or did he ask for the money on their behalf?

You're being used. No doubt about it. You got married quickly without spending enough time to figure out his true motives, and now you're asking yourself the questions that should have been asked before getting married.

mb20

1) Did you file form I-864, Affidavit of Support?
2) Where is he from?
3) Do you have any kids together?

If you are convinced of being used, the next thing you should do is to withdraw/cancel all your petitions.

Goodluck!

Affidavit of support applies even after a divorce.

It is likely to be difficult to prove marriage fraud to the standard of proof required for it to make any difference.

I am concerned that the OP's spouse may have already been married at the time of OP marriage based on his reluctance to discuss it with his family.

Concerned4us

If she withdraws her petitions now, the AOS interview doesn't take place, and consequently he does not gain permanent resident status, then the Affidavit of Support is NULL & VOID.

mb20

1)Has he received an EAD/AP based on your petition?

You write USCIS officially that you are cancelling/withdrawing your petitions and provide some cogent reasons. His I-485 might be automatically cancelled too or they might say he should withdraw officially.

Goodluck!

mb20

As long as he has not acquired his permanent residency. I equally hate to guide you to doing what you hate to do. USCIS should be your guide now. Call them and continue from there....

Goodluck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't go through with it if you are this uneasy about it.
Just know that he will be deported and banned from the US for years.

thank you. I am uneasy because I don't have a "smoking gun", but at same time I have red flags that are giving me pause to whether I want to both continue this marriage and go to an interview with nagging doubts about intent of marriage. However, I need to make a decision soon.

You could request a postponement of the interview while you think things over.

Or you could show up and request a withdrawal right there. Of course, that would probably lead to him starting a big fight when you exit the immigration office and go home, so make sure you have a big brother or male friend or two to back you up.

If you show up for the interview and act as if things are OK and the green card is approved, you will be on the hook to support him for years according to the terms of the Affidavit of Support.