Marriage based interview and missing Naturalization Certificate

npnjan02

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

I have an interview (Chicago) next month based on marriage and I believe I might have a problem. My wife has lost her Naturalization Certificate (issued 20 years ago) and the only proof of citizenship is her US passport.

I used a copy of the passport when I filled up the N-400 application, according to which US passport is acceptable. However, the interview letter stated that I need to bring spouse’s Naturalization Certificate.

Do you think I that I will have a problem if I only bring her passport?

Thanks in advance!

In my humble and non-expert opinion, I do not think it will be a problem - here is why:
1/ Your wife's US Passport is a proof that she is a US Citizen. If the passport is more than 3 years old, it also is a proof that she was a citizen 3 years ago (if you apply accoring to the 3-year rule)
2/ Since the USCIS is the issuing authority for the original and any replacement Naturalization Certificate, they easily should be able to check that she completed the Naturalization process based on her Alien Number.

Furthermore, she can
- either apply before the interview for a replacement certificate (due to the high number of applications processed by the USCIS it may take a while). To accelerate the process, she may also file it in person at your DO - you can mention this at your interview
- or wait to file for a replacement certificate in case the IO at the interview asks you for a replacement certificate as "Missing Evidence".

This is not legal advice.

Guys,

I have an interview (Chicago) next month based on marriage and I believe I might have a problem. My wife has lost her Naturalization Certificate (issued 20 years ago) and the only proof of citizenship is her US passport.

I used a copy of the passport when I filled up the N-400 application, according to which US passport is acceptable. However, the interview letter stated that I need to bring spouse’s Naturalization Certificate.

Do you think I that I will have a problem if I only bring her passport?

Thanks in advance!

I certainly agree with McMahon here.

I guess the answer somewhat depends on whether USCIS would normally request an original copy of the USC spouse's birth certificate, or whether they accept a passport as proof of citizenship. In the former case, a natz certificate would probably be required in lieu of the birth cert, while in the latter, it really shouldn't matter.

Hello,

I have a similar problem as npnjan02. My wife got her citizenship through derivation of her parents, and she don't have any Certificate, just a US passport. I have read an article that if you automatically derivative a US citizenship through parents you can apply either for Certificate or US passport. The fastest way is I think US passport to proof the US citizenship. By the way on my interview letter says that I need to bring my wife's certificate, but on the other hand I have other letter that come with the interview letter it says : proof of US Citizenship: Certificates, US passport, Birth Certificate.
So now, I am kind of confused about this. Do you think that can be a problem?

Thanks.

Hello,

I have a similar problem as npnjan02. My wife got her citizenship through derivation of her parents, and she don't have any Certificate, just a US passport. I have read an article that if you automatically derivative a US citizenship through parents you can apply either for Certificate or US passport. The fastest way is I think US passport to proof the US citizenship. By the way on my interview letter says that I need to bring my wife's certificate, but on the other hand I have other letter that come with the interview letter it says : proof of US Citizenship: Certificates, US passport, Birth Certificate.
So now, I am kind of confused about this. Do you think that can be a problem?

Thanks.

It appears that we have the same problem and have received the same letters. I don’t think I have a choice here since it takes a year to obtain the certificate, but I wouldn’t worry about the issue.

Are you planning to bring your wife to the interview?

hi npnjan02,

I think we shouldn't worry about this. Its obvious that they have US passports and that is proof of US Citizenship(make sure that the passports is old enough so you can proof that your wife is US Citizen for 3 years) , so I am not worried. I am coming with my wife, but I think just the applicant needs to be present at the interview.

Good Luck, and please share your interview experience once you are done with that.