• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

marriage after immigrant visa given

sevran79

Hello everybody

I guess it’s not the first time that it happens and it won’t be the last time. I fell in love and want to marry after getting my visa.

I am a DV winner and got my immigrant visa stamped on my passport in February 2009 (valid until early August 2009).
I met my fiancé one week after getting the visa and we are planning to marry in June of this year.
I have heard of the follow to join benefit. Does it apply to my case?

During my interview at the Paris consulate, I was told that if I marry it could raise suspicions but they did not make me sign any paper saying that I would not marry before immigrating. I am not scared of their investigations because it’s a real marriage.

Since the marriage is in June I will be able to give all necessary documents to the US consulate around mid June. Do you think we have a chance? And will the time be enough?
What else do I need to know to get all the documents ready?

I could not find specific information anywhere.

Any remarks and help will be greatly appreciated and good luck to all of you.

Hello everybody

I guess it’s not the first time that it happens and it won’t be the last time. I fell in love and want to marry after getting my visa.

I am a DV winner and got my immigrant visa stamped on my passport in February 2009 (valid until early August 2009).
I met my fiancé one week after getting the visa and we are planning to marry in June of this year.
I have heard of the follow to join benefit. Does it apply to my case?

During my interview at the Paris consulate, I was told that if I marry it could raise suspicions but they did not make me sign any paper saying that I would not marry before immigrating. I am not scared of their investigations because it’s a real marriage.

Since the marriage is in June I will be able to give all necessary documents to the US consulate around mid June. Do you think we have a chance? And will the time be enough?
What else do I need to know to get all the documents ready?

I could not find specific information anywhere.

Any remarks and help will be greatly appreciated and good luck to all of you.

NO CHANCE SORRY. READ THIS......Following-to-Join Benefits for Spouses..........
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=34519c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1____

There is a 100% probability that they will think your marriage is a "green card marriage" and cancel your visa.

You could have a chance, if you knew your girlfriend (and married her) before your interview and if you could prove this. But you met her after obtaining your visa => no chance.

I am very sorry... That's life :(

I got married after 1st letter. At the embassy have not been accepted even any relationship proofs dated after the date of receiving of 1st letter.

In your case it is a suicide to go for visa. it is a big chance that your visa will be revoked too.

Hello

Thanks to all of you for your replies.
So I guess I'll just marry in June and travel to the US by July before the visa ends. I'll see if I can petition my husband right away. I know it will take to 5 years.I'll come back to France for a year before going back for a couple of months or longer.
Hopefully the economic situation will be better then and we'll see if my soon to be husband can have a visa if he finds a contract and a job. he will also play the DV lotery, you never know. It's my second time being selected in 3 years. The first time my number was not current but it worked the second time.
I am also a Canadian permanent resident, petitions from Canada are fast from what I could gather, we'll see if we can settle down somewhere around the border. I just don't want to lose the US green card.
Thanks again and all the best to all of you
Regards

Hi to sevran79.

I really feel sorry for you. I wish there was a way to work this out.
And wow, you won the lottery two times. You must be a lucky person. Luckier 2nd time around though.

Damn the Visa system. Spouses of H1s or even F1s can join their partners in the US, but spouses of PRs can not. How much more stupid can it get.

There used to be a Visa category called "V" visa which spouses of PRs could use to re-united with their partners in the US (untill their own numbers came up), but it's no longer in use. (President Bush introduced this visa, and even though I think he was a bad President, I always found him to be a very good person. Humble and self deprecating) Idiots in Congress did not renew the program.

And this should be a warning to all you PRs out there. Call your Congressman or call your Senator. Call whomever you can. Lobby hard for the V visa. You never know when the love bug might bite you.

I am also in a similar situation right now. Although I'm not thinking about marriage just yet (I'm 19 now) -- I do not want to be away from my girlfriend.

But luckily, she got a scholarship from a college in New Jersey (for her BS), and will apply for F1 status. That way atleast we both will be in the US. (Assuming I get my Visa approved on June 9th that is) Hopefully we both get our visas and we can leave in August.

Umm, let's see what options you have.

1. If your husband has the right qualifications, he should try out for a H or an L Visa. He needs to be sponsored by a company though. Or apply for a higher degree course (Phd maybe) and get an F1 visa.

2. He can always play the lottery like us.

3. He can get a PR from Quebec quite easily with a degree. (Much easier in Quebec for you Frenchies). You can live near the border. Check out the TN visa. Although this will be helpful only when he becomes a Canadian citizen. That takes 3 years of residence in Canada after gettiing your PR.

Note IV Petitions from Canada are processed as fast as they are from France. And besides chargeability is determined according to the POB, not Citizenship.

4. He can get a B1. (My friend had to go to a college for a interview and they gave him a 5 year B1). In 5 years you'll be a citizen and he will get a PR immediately as an immediate relative.

5. He can always go to Mexico and jump walls, get in without being registered, and get out when his priority date comes up, or when you become a citizen. Discreetly again. My advice would be to use the tunnel they show in Fast and the Furious 4. Fantastic movie BTW, just saw it today.

Maybe you can do this from Canada too. I mean enter the US without being caught. I advice you to use the Montana/Alberta border.

OR beg an American girl(tell her your sad situation)to marry him(fake marriage of course) so that you can re-unite. American girls have a thing for French dudes.

If he gets caught in any of these acts, he will be barred from entering the US. Like forever.

(I'm seriously joking here. Just trying to find humor in a sad situation)

6. He can join the US Armed forces. Active duty in USA, USMC, USN or USAF. Can apply for citizenship THEN AND THERE if he does that. (Source: The New York Times). You can join the Armed Services too, he can come to the US immeditely as a spouse of a Armed Services member. Or even better you will get your citizenship VERY FAST, and then he can get his PR.

You have basically two options to get him his US PR. Either you become a citizen. (That takes 5 years, and you can not leave the US for long periods). Or you try the Family based 2A route. The current cutoff date is 08OCT04. Damned again. You will be a citizen in that time frame. Almost.

Note. If you use the Family based 2A route and file an IV petition, he is not eligible for a B1 or and F1 visa. Although he can still get a L1 or and H1, I think. They are dual intent visas. The advantage of this course is that you can leave the US for longer periods of time than if you were trying out for citizenship. But you need to be careful not to jeopardize your PR status.

But maybe a new Congress and a new President will eliminate backlogs in the FB categories. Who knows. (I trust Obama more than Congress though.)

Damn once again. I have been spending too much time on Rajiv Khanna's website.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol darkhorse, you have talked too much :)))) but it was entertaining to read what you've posted :)))

As soon as you get your citizenship, can you bring him/her to the USA or not?

Can you marry while you're a PR? (of course I can, I mean may it be a reason to loose a GC?)

Well I'm not thinking about marrying this soon, but need to collect information for further references. (18.9 yrs) :))

As soon as you get your citizenship, can you bring him/her to the USA or not?

Easily within year after you become a citizen. Marry her a month or so before you become a citizen. Then she will come to you with the fiancée visa within a year.

Can you marry while you're a PR? (of course I can, I mean may it be a reason to loose a GC?)

You can and your GC won't be lost, but your wife won't be given any kind of non-immigrant visa before you become a citizen because she will be unable to prove a strong relationship with her country of residence.