Marriage after GC

AJD

Registered Users (C)
This topic may have been discussed on this forum many a times. However, there could have been changes in law in recent years. The question is,

"How do you bring a spouse from abroad if you are a Permamnet Resident and married to someone residing outside US?"

The underlying assumption is,
- marriage took place after obtaining GC
- the spouse does not have any US visa, GC or US Citizenship.

wik,

Thanks. We all know about the delay. The question is what other ways could the spouse be in US,

Option 1 - Bring her on visit visa on a frequesnt basis
Option 2 - Get her into school and bring her on F1 visa. This way she gets higher education too.
Option 3 - Bring her on H1B (assuming she is professional)
Option 4 - any other legally viable? Please suggest

AJD said:
wik,

Thanks. We all know about the delay. The question is what other ways could the spouse be in US,

Option 1 - Bring her on visit visa on a frequesnt basis
Option 2 - Get her into school and bring her on F1 visa. This way she gets higher education too.
Option 3 - Bring her on H1B (assuming she is professional)
Option 4 - any other legally viable? Please suggest

Well another "legally viable" option...hypothetically speaking...is the spouse to divorce you, find a US citizen while overseas, have the US Citizen fly out and marry her/him and then cohabit with you once she/he is in the US. Not sure if this would be a possible solution but looks legally viable.

Another one is ofcourse the Investor visa. Hey...but if I had the money...I would emigrate to the caribbean instead of the US :)

Seriously..I think you have the options covered. You may also want to look at Canadian/Mexican options...i.e. if getting a US visa is not an option, she/he can fly into Canada/Mexico (depending on where u are) and you can hook up on weekends. I know someone who did that for long periods of time while waiting.

A NAFTA work visa is also an option provided one’s spouse is a Canadian or Mexican citizen.

It will be difficult to get and F1 visa after marriage since that visa requires one to prove that there is no intent to immigrate – tricky if you’re married to an American PR.

That’s about all I can think of. If your spouse was the son/daughter of an American citizen that would also be possible although it would be a long wait.

Marrying to get a green card is fraud, although it makes for cheesy late night movies starring French actors.

Rgds,
sadiq

I got my H1 Visa stamp while I was overseas on a business trip (went on F1 OPT and came back as H1). One of the questions in the application form was have you ever applied for immigration status or if anyone had applied on your behalf. At the time I was able to answer no since I had not started my process. If the answer was “yes”, would the consulate be more likely to deny an H1 stamp? Technically the H1 carries dual intent, but I wonder if it would matter as that may be one avenue for the spouse of a PR.

Rgds,
sadiq

Hi all,

I finally got my green card this month. I got married a few weeks before my I-485 was approved. Does the follow-to-join law still apply in this case? In other words, can my wife immigrate to the US right away or does she have to go through the long wait (4-5 years). Thanks to all.

Thanks for your reply JoeF. my wife is currently out of the USA. Any idea how to start the FTJ? what documents do I need to submit ? Can I do this myself or do I need an attorney? Thanks again!

blkhawk said:
Thanks for your reply JoeF. my wife is currently out of the USA. Any idea how to start the FTJ? what documents do I need to submit ? Can I do this myself or do I need an attorney? Thanks again!

The form to file is an I-824. You can download it from the USCIS web site and look through the instructions.