marriage about to fall apart. employer offered to sponsor me for GC. what to do?

speedee

Registered Users (C)
Hello.
Please help me - I need an advise.
I got married to a USC 2 and ½ years ago, and shortly after that he filed for my green card. It’s been 2 and ½ years, 3 work authorization cards, and fingerprints in December 2004. I recently found out things about my husband that I didn’t know, and I don’t think I can stay with him much longer – he still doesn’t know, and neither anybody else. At the same time I work for one of the top 10 companies in the USA, and the company offered to sponsor me for green card. I don’t know what to do. Should I go with the employer’s sponsorship? Is there a way to transfer from one sponsorship to another? Will I have to drop the case that I have now? Should I just pretend everything is OK and wait for the interview with my husband? Lawyers say the interview should be coming up shortly (we still don’t have a date). I am very confused. I wish things were easier. I can’t just drop everything here and leave. I dedicated my best years to build my life and carrier here, and now that my marriage is about to fall apart, I can’t imagine losing my carrier too.
I’d like to get an advice from people who are familiar with the immigration law, or had similar experience.
Thank you,
Sharon

Girl , I feel you. When I found out about my husband's extra activities behind my back after 4 years life together I got so sick.. and I have no idea what to do, except I've just received a green card. One thing is clear, it will make your life with him unbearable. I can not help you though with your decision. Do research and do the best. I wish you luck girl, you'll need it and health.

speedee said:
Hello.
Please help me - I need an advise.
I got married to a USC 2 and ½ years ago, and shortly after that he filed for my green card. It’s been 2 and ½ years, 3 work authorization cards, and fingerprints in December 2004. I recently found out things about my husband that I didn’t know, and I don’t think I can stay with him much longer – he still doesn’t know, and neither anybody else.
Sharon

sharon .. i beleive there is one alternative .. that is if you can stick with it long enough .. and this is what you can do .. after 3 years of marrage
you can legally apply for your a us citizenship . it will cut the paperwork time in half
i have had a similar experience with my .. ex .. i just got my permanent residency tor the next 10 years and my divorce .. if i had known i could have applied for usc 3 years after marrage , i would have done just that .. however my 5 years here is almost up and i can apply soon any way ...check out the us immigration web site and do your home work .. all the answers are in there

good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
inspiration said:
sharon .. i beleive there is one alternative .. that is if you can stick with it long enough .. and this is what you can do .. after 3 years of marrage
you can legally apply for your a us citizenship . it will cut the paperwork time in half
i have had a similar experience with my .. ex .. i just got my permanent residency tor the next 10 years and my divorce .. if i had known i could have applied for usc 3 years after marrage , i would have done just that .. however my 5 years here is almost up and i can apply soon any way ...check out the us immigration web site and do your home work .. all the answers are in there

good luck

Correction

You can apply for citizenship three years after getting Green Card
(conditional, or unconditional doesn’t matter)
but only if you still married to your USC spouse, otherwise it’s 5 years.
In Sharon’s case she might be getting her GC soon
(you can check processing dates for your application in your local INS office here:https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp;jsessionid=bbPCk86uJ-qc )
Only after that she can start count three or five years to her citizenship eligibility.