marine wife applied for adjustment of status

krasniimak

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am married to a US Marine and recently applied for adjustment of status after being out of status for almost 2 years (after my J-1 visa expired). Me and my husband are together since summer 2008 and got married in 2010. I am wondering what should i do while my GC application is processing. My husband has to put me as his dependent but i don't know if its okay to do it. Normally i would wait till i get the GC but if he doesn't declare me as his dependent, we cant be applying for a house, therefore we cant live together. I have read a lot of threads and it seams that the IO asks for how long has the couple been living together. So my question is if we should go ahead and put me as his dependent or wait till after the interview to apply and start living together, and there is always the question of what if he is gonna be deployed....

Day 1 - June 25th - mailed I-130, I-485, I-765, I-864, I-131 all in one package
Day 2 - June 29th - package received
Day 3 - July 10th - NOA received
Day 4 - July 12th - ACS Appointment notice (Biometrics) for July 26th

All opinions welcome. Thank you.

The USCIS has a group dedicated to assisting US Military personnel and their families with immigration issues. Please go the the USCIS website and follow links to the "Military Helpline". It is a small reward that he has earned by his service; please take advantage of it. The service itself has services available to complete legal paperwork that is completed by all prior to deployment (POAs, etc.). He should seek assistance for the dependent issues from his command or the JAG office.

I haven't had a chance to reply, but i fallowed your advice and called the military line. They said they don't know anything about this kind of issues and what concerns them is mostly assist the military families in the immigration problems. So i decided to wait and not take chances. When we eventually applied it was after i got my green card approval and found that if we would've done it when i was out of status it would have been fine also, they don't have anything to do with that. So military doesn't interfere into governmental issues and vice versa.

i also went to a military lawyer that told me that they don't have a issue with me being out of status and that his command officers should help, but they just didn't. It all happened fast and we got the green card, didn't even need to ask for assistance from his supervisors :))))

Hi,
I am married to a US Marine and recently applied for adjustment of status after being out of status for almost 2 years (after my J-1 visa expired). Me and my husband are together since summer 2008 and got married in 2010. I am wondering what should i do while my GC application is processing. My husband has to put me as his dependent but i don't know if its okay to do it. Normally i would wait till i get the GC but if he doesn't declare me as his dependent, we cant be applying for a house, therefore we cant live together. I have read a lot of threads and it seams that the IO asks for how long has the couple been living together. So my question is if we should go ahead and put me as his dependent or wait till after the interview to apply and start living together, and there is always the question of what if he is gonna be deployed....

Day 1 - June 25th - mailed I-130, I-485, I-765, I-864, I-131 all in one package
Day 2 - June 29th - package received
Day 3 - July 10th - NOA received
Day 4 - July 12th - ACS Appointment notice (Biometrics) for July 26th

All opinions welcome. Thank you.

First of all welcome! I am a military wife too (Army) and have been out of status for 1 1/2 years before I applied for my GC. When it comes to putting you down as a dependant and you getting your military dependant ID, he can fill in your passport number as your SSN until you have one. That's what they did for me and everything worked out well, I have all the benefits a dependant is entitled to. If they ask anything about your status just tell them youÄre working on getting your GC :)

EDIT: Oh nvm, I just saw you already got your GC lol. Hope everything worked out well :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, everything went smooth. I was actually very nervous when doing all that cuz pretty much did everything by myself and also having him away and trying to get me as a dependent first and then the GC kinda threw me off the balance. I already had the SSN, i just couldn't find any info about if it's okay to go and apply for housing and getting on his insurance with the GC pending. I hope this could be a little more helpful for those who have the same questions. As long as you have a state ID, a SSN and your birt certificate translated, you can apply to be a dependent. I didn't know that they can use the passport # also instead of the SSN, but it just wasn't my case.
Thank you for your reply KussyPoo :)))