mandatory TB test

opinion

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys, just wanted to share my experience with uscis doctors.
I already have my TB vaccination which was done long ago back in my country, as a proof I have my immunization passport from my country showing dates, age, dose of different vaccinations. Well, I've come to doc office and tried to convience him that a chest x-rays will be anough - the answer was polite but NO. They don't trust foreigners. TB vaccination comes back of course positive. I went to chest x-rays today, result will be in a couple days.

well this common problem ..
immigration officer may or may not ask you for TB preventive medicine .
really I can't advice you because:
*in one hand TB preventive medicine can be too harmful for your health
*in the other hand failure to submit the preventive medicine record may delay your I-485 approval.
Good luck.
:rolleyes:

opinion said:
I already have my TB vaccination which was done long ago back in my country, as a proof I have my immunization passport from my country showing dates, age, dose of different vaccinations. Well, I've come to doc office and tried to convience him that a chest x-rays will be anough - the answer was polite but NO. They don't trust foreigners. TB vaccination comes back of course positive. I went to chest x-rays today, result will be in a couple days.

Went in yesterday and told the doctor that I wanted an Xray, he said no problem and I did the Xray instead of skin test. :)

opinion
A lot depends on the individual doctor. Say, in my situation, if I had a vaccination record, he would have signed everything the same day. He asked me right away if I ever had positive skin test for TB. After I responded affirmatively he said that he wouldn't bother repeating it, because if it once was positive - it will always be positive. He sent me straight for chest X-ray. Besides, before going to this particular doctor, I made some research and found out, among other things, that he is very culturally sensitive, charges the lowest fee and his office is very conveniently located for me. The rest was easy. :)

Morning said:
opinion
A lot depends on the individual doctor. Say, in my situation, if I had a vaccination record, he would have signed everything the same day. He asked me right away if I ever had positive skin test for TB. After I responded affirmatively he said that he wouldn't bother repeating it, because if it once was positive - it will always be positive. He sent me straight for chest X-ray. Besides, before going to this particular doctor, I made some research and found out, among other things, that he is very culturally sensitive, charges the lowest fee and his office is very conveniently located for me. The rest was easy. :)
I did my medicals on wednesday and I had the option to take the TB test. the doctor said that was my desition if take it or not ( i did take it on 2004 for job), but with immigration you should never take a risk................ so I did take it. Just to be safe! you know............. :cool:

If I were you, I would cut my losses and redo the physical with another Doctor - Do your research of finding another doctor though, otherwise the current pysical could delay your approval or force you to go on medication harmful to your body.

peguin12 said:

If I were you, I would cut my losses and redo the physical with another Doctor - Do your research of finding another doctor though, otherwise the current pysical could delay your approval or force you to go on medication harmful to your body.

I think this is exactly what I'm going to do!
THANKS EVERYBODY :)

My experience with USCIS Surgeon was really funny . when i met him first i told him my father is a surgeon too :p
and i just told him i had a chicken pox vacine already .he trusted me and signed my immunization form as if i dont need it. he saw my skin it was red after tuberculos test and told me it is okay it is negative. :) so i got 2 vacines only. but i had a problem with blood test .somebody in lab was suspecting syphylis in my blood :eek: .when they double checked it was negative .Doctor was a old man in his 60th.He was really helpful .and he gave me a copy of all that paperwork which he sealed in envelope.and told me USCIS often loses letters keep it home.in case they lose it in a mail. he was recomended by my lawyer .He lives in washington,dc area.

SINNERSROOM said:
I dont know about NJ or NY. Come to DC and do it here .it is only 3 hours by car from NY :) I can give you his contacts.
SINNERSROOM, thank you for the offer :), I see what I can find in my area first, and if nothing good will be around I will contact you. THANK YOU :)

opinion said:

My wife was exactly in same situation (I posted a separate thread "Medical Class B Condition" in this forum), except we were not so well informed as you were BEFORE going to the immigration doctor. We first freaked out that her TB skin test was positive, but after some research we found out that it was because she had been TB vaccinated in her old country. And of course the chest X-ray came out negative. We decided to gamble and mailed the medical to NSC in Sep 05. She received her GC on 1/11/06 without any problems.
I think it depends on the IO handling the case if they decide to give you trouble or not.
I think I would recommend to you to find another doctor who can do just an X-ray without a skin test, as other people have suggested. Good luck.
inline

Last edited by a moderator:
inline said:
My wife was exactly in same situation (I posted a separate thread "Medical Class B Condition" in this forum), except we were not so well informed as you were BEFORE going to the immigration doctor. We first freaked out that her TB skin test was positive, but after some research we found out that it was because she had been TB vaccinated in her old country. And of course the chest X-ray came out negative. We decided to gamble and mailed the medical to NSC in Sep 05. She received her GC on 1/11/06 without any problems.
I think it depends on the IO handling the case if they decide to give you trouble or not.
I think I would recommend to you to find another doctor who can do just an X-ray without a skin test, as other people have suggested. Good luck.
inline
What ND u are?

inline said:
3 months myself, 4 months my wife

Inline, I have questions for you, thank you.

1. I heard all 2002 ND were transferred to TSC. But, both of you were approved in the same time from NSC ? or who was approved first ?

2. Did both of you have the same ND 2002 Jul ?

3. Did you both received RFE or RFI in the same time ? and responded to CIS in the same time ?

4. Who is the the principal ? Did you child also get approved ?

GrassRoot said:
Inline, I have questions for you, thank you.

1. I heard all 2002 ND were transferred to TSC. But, both of you were approved in the same time from NSC ? or who was approved first ?

2. Did both of you have the same ND 2002 Jul ?

3. Did you both received RFE or RFI in the same time ? and responded to CIS in the same time ?

4. Who is the the principal ? Did you child also get approved ?

GrassRoot, below are dates and details of communications from/to USCIS.
My wife is the principal. We received RFI (medical) on the same date.
Our children were born here, so they are citizens already, little brats :)

My Wife - Principal:
ND: July 20 2002
FP: Nov 2004
Medical: Received by USCIS 09-29-05
BIO: Code 3 Done on 09-27-05
LUD: 10-03-05
APPROVED 1-10-06!!!
GC: in hand 1/14/05

Myself - Derivative:
APPROVED 12-2-05!!!
BIO: scheduled for 2/15/06, Code 2
GC: Waiting

inline said:
GrassRoot, below are dates and details of communications from/to USCIS.
My wife is the principal. We received RFI (medical) on the same date.
Our children were born here, so they are citizens already, little brats :)

My Wife - Principal:
BIO: Code 3 Done on 09-27-05
LUD: 10-03-05
APPROVED 1-10-06!!!
GC: in hand 1/14/05

Myself - Derivative:
APPROVED 12-2-05!!!
BIO: scheduled for 2/15/06, Code 2
GC: Waiting

Inline,

Thank you buddy, you both are lucky #1. I really do not know how FBI Name Check works - I thought Name Check is connected to Bio... But obviously it is not, because CIS can approve AS without Bio.

Please update us after your Bio - if they will give you GC card right after your Bio taken from ASC ( properly backdated..).

GrassRoot said:
Inline,

Thank you buddy, you both are lucky #1. I really do not know how FBI Name Check works - I thought Name Check is connected to Bio... But obviously it is not, because CIS can approve AS without Bio.

Please update us after your Bio - if they will give you GC card right after your Bio taken from ASC ( properly backdated..).

Grassroot,
I think FBI checks are connected with FP. I am a derivative and that's the only time when they took my fingerprints (2004).
I will keep you updated once I hear from USCIS after I do my BIO.
Good luck to you.