• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Mandatory stay period after entry

yoges

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
I am 2014 DV selectee. Currently I am studying in finland and I still have a year left to finish my studies. My visa expires on 2nd December. I want to know how long do I have to say in US after making my entry. I am planing to enter on july 1 and stay there for 10 days and return back to continue may studies. Could you please provide me details about these things. Do i have to apply for social security number separately or it will be done along with my entry at the port?

Thanks in advance

You can enter, get your passport stamped and catch the next flight out... you then have a year to get back.
If you ticked the box on your DS230 your social security card should automatically be triggered on entry (note "should" - not always - but ours was). As long as you have someone you can trust at an address to receive your SSN card and physical green card you can leave. (When your visa gets stamped on entry it converts to a temporary green card valid for a year that you can use to come back.)

You can enter, get your passport stamped and catch the next flight out... you then have a year to get back.
If you ticked the box on your DS230 your social security card should automatically be triggered on entry (note "should" - not always - but ours was). As long as you have someone you can trust at an address to receive your SSN card and physical green card you can leave. (When your visa gets stamped on entry it converts to a temporary green card valid for a year that you can use to come back.)

Thank u for the information. I got some information that I have to stay for a month or so otherwise my entry will not be valid. I got confused with mixed information. As far as I read the instructions on travel.state page they have not mentioned the period of stay after entry.

Thank u for the information. I got some information that I have to stay for a month or so otherwise my entry will not be valid. I got confused with mixed information. As far as I read the instructions on travel.state page they have not mentioned the period of stay after entry.

No, that's not correct. If you want to apply for a re-entry permit you would need to stay longer to get biometrics done, and that can easily take a month or more for an appointment, but you don't need that if you are staying out less than a year.