Making personal copy of a DVD/CD is deportable offense?

John Sreedhar

Registered Users (C)
Yesterday when I am having discussion with friends, the topic came up regarding DVD/CD copying. Want to know your opinions.

Making personal copy of a DVD (decrypting and then copying) is crime or not?

At the beginning of every DVD, it says that it's federal crime to copy or reproduce the DVD. I am under the impression that copying or reproducing for commercial use is federal crime. Not for home/personal use.

Let say if authority finds one has DVD's/CD's copied from somewhere, what are the consequences (5 year prison/$250,000 fine ???). Also will it be a deportable crime.

I guess most of you might have copied at least few DVD's.

Publicus said:
My answer would be: JUST DON'T GET CAUGHT. :D :D :D

That's my point. I've seen a lot of posts here with people worried about the tickets and traffic violations because they were caught, and I can understand that. However, nobody mentions the copy made of the favorite songs and the hundred of songs downloaded illegaly. People don't mention these things because they never get caught!

When someone burns a simple CD at home or even upload your favorite music onto the Internet, it is CRIME. Under federal law, offenders who commit copyright violations that involve digital recordings can face criminal penalties of as much as five years in prison and/or $250,000 in fines. Needless to say you could also be sued by the copyright holder in civil court, which could cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars more in damages and legal fees.

So my questions are:

1) Have you ever copied a simple CD or upload your favorite music onto the Internet ?
2) Have you ever been arrested for this illegal activity?

How would be your answer for the question # 15 (N-400) : Have you EVER committed a crime or offense for which you were NOT arrested? (ok. Just answer to yourself) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
If you bought the CD or DVD, it usually falls under the doctrine of fair use. For example, courts have ruled that making a copy of music you bought, e.g., for your car cassette or CD player, is covered by fair use.
Making a copy of a DVD you rent is of course not ok.
why not? what's the difference?
In any case, if you make the copies only for yourself and not for sale, you have no chance to get caught and therefore will never be deported

JoeF said:
I remember reading a story where somebody's car got broken into, some CDs and DVDs were stolen, the cops found the burglar, but they noticed that the CDs and DVDs were pirated...
OMG, you serious? :)
yeah i know it's half-legal. Things are just slow today at work..

michvin said:
... Things are just slow today at work..

It's slow here too. Monday.... you know....plus it's Martin Luther King day... ( birthday observed) Anyway, speaking of illegal copies an interesting artcicle is here.