maintaining Green Card status

mbanjabi

Registered Users (C)
Can some one help me please?

I have a GC since 2000; I have to attend to family matter overseas which requires me to spend long time. I come to the US once a year. I'm married to a US citizen whom with me now over seas. Now I want to go to the US but I'm afraid I might face trouble with immigration. I really don't know what to do. I have applied for a travel document last year while I was in the US, but t I got no response from them. Should I applie for a cisa at the US consult or should I just come to the US hopping the just let me in.

Please help

mbanjabi said:
Can some one help me please?

I have a GC since 2000; I have to attend to family matter overseas which requires me to spend long time. I come to the US once a year. I'm married to a US citizen whom with me now over seas. Now I want to go to the US but I'm afraid I might face trouble with immigration. I really don't know what to do. I have applied for a travel document last year while I was in the US, but t I got no response from them. Should I applie for a cisa at the US consult or should I just come to the US hopping the just let me in.

Please help

A reentry permit will help but it does not prevent the service from determining that you have abandoned your US residency, which it sounds to me as if you may have done. Residents normally reside most of the time in the US and to spend years out of the US may indicate a failure to maintain residency. It is quite fact specific and I would need to know a lot more before I would hazard an educated guess. Even an educated guess would still be a guess and BCBP could disagree and refuse admission.

Jim Mills said:
A reentry permit will help but it does not prevent the service from determining that you have abandoned your US residency, which it sounds to me as if you may have done. Residents normally reside most of the time in the US and to spend years out of the US may indicate a failure to maintain residency. It is quite fact specific and I would need to know a lot more before I would hazard an educated guess. Even an educated guess would still be a guess and BCBP could disagree and refuse admission.

Dear,
how can i check if my GC is still valid. Last time i left the US was on Feb 2005. i thought i would receive the reentry permit at the US Embassy as i requested but i didn't. My wife is an american and she is with me overseas does that change the situation. the embassy does not answer any Q's nor answer the phone. do you think i should apply for a B visa or whta should i do. my wife and i have to come to the US to visit family soon. please help.