Maiden or married name?

k.ambrose

Registered Users (C)
Hi fellow filers,
My interview's coming up pretty soon and would really appreciate it if those who've already been approved share their inputs regarding this situation.

We got married recently. I did not change my last name and would like to retain my last name. To the wives who didn't change their last names, what did you reply to the interviewer when last name questions were asked?

For instance: I noticed you are using your maiden name, why is that so? OR Do you plan to change your last name anytime soon? OR Which last name should we use on the card?

Thanks,guys. All the best to us.

Hi fellow filers,
My interview's coming up pretty soon and would really appreciate it if those who've already been approved share their inputs regarding this situation.

We got married recently. I did not change my last name and would like to retain my last name. To the wives who didn't change their last names, what did you reply to the interviewer when last name questions were asked?

For instance: I noticed you are using your maiden name, why is that so? OR Do you plan to change your last name anytime soon? OR Which last name should we use on the card?

I am also sailing in same boat. Guys please help us quickly

Hmmm can't help you there... because my USC Wife changed her last name to mine. But I would simply state "the truth" whatever reason you have for it.

I would say that as far as the name goes on the card.. the probably won't ask that, but you can say the name you'll have on your DL, MC, SSN, etc.

I think that they already asked on the application what name you want to be printed on the card. I was also not ready to change my last name (I got used to my maiden name and since there aren't any boys in the family, I wanted to preserve mine), but ended up keeping my maiden name and adding my husband's name. I don't think it should matter.

yeah, it does not really matter, they can't make u take u're husbads last name. The only point about that issue is that, "It add strength to your application, in other words it makes them believe that your marriage is very legit as compared to scams. So far if I was you, My answer would be plane " I like my last name better and my husband/wife agrees on me keeping my last name."

yea, i still have my last name not my husband's, pls i'm really interested to hear what they ask you at the interview in regards to the that,wishing u the best as your interview approaches.

It does not matter. I never changed my last name and I probably wont (too much hassle) and there is nothing no one can do about it. And if immigration asks tells them the truth.
My process is thru employment and if we get an interview, we also have to proof we have a bona fide marriage. If yours is, you should have enough proof and the name wont matter, it is a personal choice.

Hi fellow filers,

Good day to all
I kept my maiden name and hyped my husband last name. But I used my maiden name on all applications, because all my documents like passport, DL and social security card has my maiden name.....

I tried to get my DL changed to my married name, but i couldn't because i have to change my name on the social security card first...

I tried to get my DL changed to my married name, but i couldn't because i have to change my name on the social security card first...

Weird, for us it was the other way around. First we changed my wife's name on the DL (using the copy of the marriage certificate) and then we got the SSN changed using the DL. :p

No one can make you take your husband's name. So dont even worry about it. A lot of people dont do it. It does not mean your marriage is not "for real"

In 2005 I tried changing my name on the SSA I gave them everthing they requested. however, I was told that they have to contact immigration to see if my info correspondence with immigration info. I never heard back from SSA.

Thanks a bunch to everyone who shared their experiences, suggestions and opinions. Appreciate it! Hope our applications go well :)

On my wifes application we filled out everything with her married name. However all of her personal documents had her maiden name. It didnt seem to matter, the GC was approved in the maiden name. They didnt question anything concerning the name. I think they just go off of whats in the passport. But this was from the consulate in mumbai india so I do not know if that would apply to your case.