M1 extension

Flyer86

Hey guys. I am hoping to get some clarification on applying for an M1 extension.

I have been given conflicting information from everywhere. My M1 status is due to expire in 6 weeks, and I have been in the US for nearly a year (6 weeks in UK over christmas). I would like to extend my stay for another year to complete my current courses, and also undertake training for additional qualifications. My DSO claims that I could be rejected if I applied for an extension, and is encouraging me to drive to Canada with a new I20 (good for another year) and reenter on my soon to expire visa...I will be good for another year. However, I have read that doing it this way voids all time currently accrued towards OPT (which I am hoping to get 6 months of).

Some attorneys are saying I will be fine, and the USCIS says it is ok. Why is my DSO concerned? What basis would there be to reject my extension? Some are saying to pursue further studies, you have to leave and apply for a new visa, whilst attorneys and the USCIS said there is no need.

I am really confused, so help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

M1 Visa is for students who want take up a vocational studies in USA. You can find the detailed information here.

Disclaimer: The information provided is of a general nature and is not intended to be construed as legal advice.

Hey guys. I am hoping to get some clarification on applying for an M1 extension.

I have been given conflicting information from everywhere. My M1 status is due to expire in 6 weeks, and I have been in the US for nearly a year (6 weeks in UK over christmas). I would like to extend my stay for another year to complete my current courses, and also undertake training for additional qualifications. My DSO claims that I could be rejected if I applied for an extension, and is encouraging me to drive to Canada with a new I20 (good for another year) and reenter on my soon to expire visa...I will be good for another year. However, I have read that doing it this way voids all time currently accrued towards OPT (which I am hoping to get 6 months of).

Some attorneys are saying I will be fine, and the USCIS says it is ok. Why is my DSO concerned? What basis would there be to reject my extension? Some are saying to pursue further studies, you have to leave and apply for a new visa, whilst attorneys and the USCIS said there is no need.

I am really confused, so help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks