• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

LV winners in some countries

immi176

For LV 2019 winners who live in Iran, Syria and Sudan, specially the ones who lives in Iran, are they able to get their Green cards eventually.
At minimum, are they able to get appointment for an interview?. A couple who have won LV 2019 and live in Iran have contacted me. I have no good answers for them. There are several others in the same situation.

Curious as to why people are contacting you expecting you to have answers?

Anyone who fills in a DS260 whose number is current will get an interview. The embassy will not know if you have an exemption until they interview you and no final decision is made before a CO makes it, which will only happen at interview.

I know one of them but that got led me to know others. They seem like to use any opportunity to obtain some info. So, this forum came to my mind to help non experts like me. Thanks for the reply.

BTW would be considered as exemption?. Is it something arbitrarily?. Some thing like exceptional cases?. Why those would wait to win under the LV program?.
if the person has bachelor degree with good job like working as ordinary engineer has a chance?.
The chances are very low if ordinary LV applicants are from the banned countries?.
How about the applicants from other nations like Pakistan, Or some European countries?.

Not sure for an ordinary educated LV applicant from the banned countries, what they be looking for to grant visa?.

Last edited:
your suggestion have been well taken, have read different articles in and about it. It still leaves somethings about the handling of this cases unanswered. Why they even interview people if the chances are slim?. Many of these applicants have to travel a long distance and endure high expensive costs. Maybe I need to do more readings.

your suggestion have been well taken, have read different articles in and about it. It still leaves somethings about the handling of this cases unanswered. Why they even interview people if the chances are slim?. Many of these applicants have to travel a long distance and endure high expensive costs. Maybe I need to do more readings.
The applicants should know if they have the requisite factors for an exemption. It is not up to kcc or uscis or whoever to simply deny an applicant before interview without knowing all the relevant factors, how could that be fair? No one forces the applicant to spend money, travel etc. it is their decision and something they should only do if they strongly believe they have an exemption.

what do you mean from LV? Lottery Visa?

Here are all numbers from those who got in 2018

They give visa to 318 people from Iran

https://travel.state.gov/content/da...018AnnualReport/FY18AnnualReport-TableVII.pdf

They need a waiver but no one knows what a waiver is. There is no form assigned to travel ban waiver.

It all depends to officer opinion whether someone deserves a waiver.

No particular rule has assigned.

The majority of those 318 people would not have had a waiver. They would mainly have been cases with dual citizenship, or US/Canadian residents. There may also have been a few (very few) cases approved for bona fide relationships when that rule was available.