Lost passport, Feedback Needed !!

cmacti

Registered Users (C)
Friends,

Somebody stole my bag & I lost my Passport at Newark Int. airport.

Does anybody have similar experience !!

Can somebody give me idea how much time it takes for embassy to process it and what are the formalities ?

How is the chances to recover it as the thief may throw this somewhere (as it is useless for them) ?

I already filed the police report and awaiting call !!

Any insight will be very helpful and will be greatly appreciated !!

I am Nov. filer and awaiting GC approval.
Thanks in advance !

If the cops have give you a copy of the police report, you can use it to apply for a duplicate passport. Do you have copies of your passport? do you have cpoy of the visa stamp which was in your passport? do you have the copy of I-94 which was in your passport?

1st you need to apply for replacement of your I-94 by filing form
I-102.

If you have copies of your passport, it might speed up in getting your duplicate passport from the Embassy. It might take anywhere from 2 weeks from the date of applying to 6 months to get a duplicate passport, since the Embassy here would send a Telex to the original passport issuing office in India. Then the passport office in india will refer the case to the local police. One of the policemen might show up at your house in India to verify your information. Once the policeman completes the report he will send it back to the passportoffice, who in turn will respond back to the embassy in the US. Only after this a duplicate passport will be issued.

However if you have connections (political) in India, and if the embassy in US gets a fax or call then you might get it faster. You know how the politicians work in India. ;)

Recovering your lost passport is very bleek. In case your old passport is recovered and returned to you, and if the Embassy has issued you a duplicate passport, you can take your recovered passport to the Embassy and get it cancelled or get a annotation on your new passport.

Good Luck!!

My colleague had also lost his passport . Just take the police report and go the Indian Embassy in NY. They will guide you accordingly . He got his passport in 48 hours .
-sai

Thanks Guys, it would help.

Can I have more feedback from anybody had similar problem/experience ?

Thanks !

we are also lost our(me &hb)pp in newark

we got report from police ...and applied for new one ...
it is big mess...and we got temp pp. NYindian consouler checked
india with my parent right now they are calling to gave perimenent pp after one year. really it is big headche...

Last edited by a moderator:
Vault,

Thanks for your detail info.

I have the photocopy of passports but as I just cleared the immigration and got new I-94 so I do not have copy of that.

Would the indian embassy give temp. passport immediately untill they issue the permanent passport ?

Can I used the temp. passport to get stamping as I am November,01 filer and awaiting approval ? Any problem in GC interview/stamping if I do not have I-94 ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback !

My Passport has my IIT Bombay address... What if i loose my passport? Will the police inquiry go to my hostel address in IIT Bombay? Or can I give my new permanent address in India (Bhopal).

Thanks so much in advance.. All the best to everyone.

Originally posted by cmacti
Vault,

Thanks for your detail info.

I have the photocopy of passports but as I just cleared the immigration and got new I-94 so I do not have copy of that.

Do you know the I-94 #? Did you apply for the duplicate I-94 with INS?

Would the indian embassy give temp. passport immediately untill they issue the permanent passport ?

Not sure!! Speak to the officer at the consulate

Can I used the temp. passport to get stamping as I am November,01 filer and awaiting approval ? Any problem in GC interview/stamping if I do not have I-94 ?

I don't think it will be a problem, since your temp passport will be valid for atleast one year.
Thanks in advance for your feedback !

Duplicate passport stamping

Hi you all,

I don`t know whether u all will be checking this thread but we have lost our passport too_Our bag was stolen at JFK in Dec 2002.We got passports from Indian embassey in Houston in October 2003.

Is there anyway u all got duplicate passport stamped in USA ?

Is this a possibility ?

As we are afraid to get it stamped in India as we have lost all original documents too.

Awaiting for reply .

How come you lost your passprt. Where did you kept your passport? in bag or cabin baggage. We are flying thru newark next month. It warned us to make multiple copies of our passport keep some in home and some in cabbin baggage

Be careful at newark

This is the 2nd time I am hearing such an incident.
My close friend lost his passport from newark. Many illegal people always in search of such things.
He lost his bag from that cafe(I guess burger king) at B terminal.
Police complaint doesn't help to get the same passport back. It will help you to reduce the pain to get a new one.
Be careful guys at Newark.

Wow... I am surprised to see my thread after long time !

Yes I got duplicate passport in a week's time in March'03 valid for a year and recently embassy extended the validity for 10 years !!

duplicate passport

Hi u all,

Is it possible to get our vissa stamped in Missouri ? As we have filed Perm.Res. thro Chicago ,I may receive EAD but atleast it will take another 6 months.We are worried if we have to travel ,how to reenter USA as all the documents we applied for duplicate and taking herendous amount of time.

We were coming back from India thro port of entry Ney York JFK.At the counter for flight from NY to Dallas while checking in ( we had been told that we can not make it to the flight to dallas due to security check and we had to go to Laguardia Airport).We were ready to wait at JFK but she said they don`t have any flight.In argument at the counter for US airways which was right at the sliding doors where passengers drop off ,(my husband had one of those lap top bag with all documents in it ),kept it down at the feet .Somebody must have stolen it thinking lap top or for illegal use of documents.

We had posted adds and also checked with all depts at JFK ,no luck so far !!!!

Anyway be careful and don`t carry all imp. doocuments with you if you don`t need to !!! If you have to carry documents get them notarised and keep it at safe place at home (or bank safety box )

And keep bag with u all the time !!

Good Luck !

can duplicate passport be stamped in US

cmacti,

Hi do you know whether its possible to get duplicate passport stamped in Missouri.Do u have any experience or u already have EAD stamped ?

I am expecting EAD in another 4-6 months .I was curious if I have to visit India before then,is there any other option iiiiiiiiii

Any feedback will be appreciated ,thanks.

If you have applied for I-485 and have receipts then you need only Advance Parole document to go to India.

Go to your local BCIS office and you may get AP in couple of hours . You need follwing document

1. Form to apply for AP (May check the BCIS site)
2. 110 fees
3. two Immigration style photo
4. Valid Passport ( Duplicate / Temp is also a valid passport)
5. I-485 receipt

Wonderful... I just went or rather am through this process myself. This is what I lost -Passport/H1 Visa and I94 without a copy.

This is what I did. I registered a complaint with the state police. They take it seriously as it is a case of identity theft/loss. I used that to file for a new passport in person at the embassy in DC as i live here they asked me to wait for 45 days and they gave me one last week with an expiration daye of my old passport.

In the mean time I applied for I 102 which is an application for replacement I 94. I receieved that also last week. Since I have never revalidated my Visa in the US I have to go to India and get it stamped.

The whole process is stressful and costs around 400-500 bucks not to mention the travel and mailing costs to get the whole thing back.