Lost Green Card

mountaindewis

My sister is trying to go abroad to attend the funeral of my dad.
Problem is she can't find her green card. But she has a copy of her green card.
Will there any problem returning to the US? If so, what are some of options she needs to take in order to return safely?
Thanks in advance!

She cannot return with a copy of her green card, no airline will permit her to board a flight to US.

She won't be able to fly back to the US with just the copy of the green card.

However if she can fly to Mexico or Canada, she should be able to drive or walk across the US border using her passport and US driver's license and the copy of the green card, after enduring some heavy questioning. If that passport has been used before when entering the US or during her green card process, that makes it easier because there would be a record of that passport in the US immigration system.

Another option is to apply for a Transportation Letter in her country through the US embassy. They'll want to see a copy of the green card and her passport. Other evidence can be helpful, like her driver's license/state ID, and the father's death certificate (+ her own birth certificate, to prove the parental relationship) to show why she had to leave the US suddenly without applying to replace/renew her green card.

Thank you for the helpful responses, nkm-oct23 and Jackolantern.
My sister will try to go the local immigration office first thing in the morning and figure out what she needs to do.

The transportation letter may be a good option, but the only problem is the funeral of my dad is not taking place in the country she has citizenship with.

Once again, thank you again for the help!

Hello forum mates,
Mountaindewis excuse me to ask some Qs here.

i want to ask would it be an issue to travel just one /two week(s) before visa expiry date?
in case it wouldn't be an issue, what about getting GC after the visa has expired? furthermore whats meant by the notes on visa that says " upon endorsment serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year."??

Thanks.

The transportation letter may be a good option, but the only problem is the funeral of my dad is not taking place in the country she has citizenship with.

Doesn't matter. She can apply for a Transportation Letter in any country that has a US embassy/consulate.

However, a better option may be to e-file I-90 (the green card replacement form) before leaving the US. That will generate an immediate online confirmation which includes the receipt number. She can then print that and take it and her passport to a USCIS office, and after explaining the situation (with evidence of the death, if possible) she may be able to get an I-551 stamp in her passport, which would enable her to board the flight and enter the US without a problem.

What-if you are a green card holder, who lost green card, and who is at the same time citizen of a country which has visa-waiver program implemented with the USA ?

Even though airlines don't allow people to board planes without a green card or another visa, a person who can use visa waiver program could board a plane US-bound. And in the U.S. claiming he/she lost green card, paying a fine, and enter the country.

Possible scenario?

What-if you are a green card holder, who lost green card, and who is at the same time citizen of a country which has visa-waiver program implemented with the USA ?

Even though airlines don't allow people to board planes without a green card or another visa, a person who can use visa waiver program could board a plane US-bound. And in the U.S. claiming he/she lost green card, paying a fine, and enter the country.

Yes, that can be done and has been done. Boarding the flight won't be a problem, but it won't be so easy when you arrive at the port of entry. You'll have to explain the situation, be prepared for harsh questioning, and hope that they let you in as a permanent resident. I figure your chances of being admitted are better if you have a copy of the green card and/or you've previously entered the US with that same passport as a green card holder.