lost green card/interview in a a few days

sherbym

Registered Users (C)
arrived in canada from abroad and will enter US tomorrow. in the process have lost my green card.

wondering if it will be a problem at immigration and more importantly at the interview next week in USA for citizenship.

any help/suggestions
HELP

arrived in canada from abroad and will enter US tomorrow. in the process have lost my green card.

wondering if it will be a problem at immigration and more importantly at the interview next week in USA for citizenship.

any help/suggestions
HELP

You will not be allowed to re-enter the U.S. with the documents you have now (unless you happen to have a valid reentry permit with you).
You need to apply for a transportation letter at the nearest U.S. consulate in Canada ASAP. Call them and find out what the procedure is.
http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/lost-stolen-greencard-transportation-letter.html
Most likely they'll need a police report and a photocopy of your lost green card (or some other evidence that you had been admitted as an LPR), as well as evidence of having entered Canada legally. Once you receive a transportation letter, you will be allowed to re-enter the U.S. It may well be that you'll need more than a week to get a transportation letter, so you may have to reschedule your naturalization interview.

Are you Canadian? If yes, due the leniency with which they tend to treat Canadians, and the data sharing between Canada and the US, you may be able to enter the US with just your Canadian passport, especially if you have used the same passport before to enter the US with a green card. Upon swiping the passport they'll know you are an LPR. Make sure to have the police report with you, and remind them that you are a permanent resident so they don't accidentally admit you as a visitor.

But you should only attempt this at a land border, or at an airport where they do the immigration screening in Canada. That way if they refuse entry you can simply turn around and leave, and then look about getting the transportation letter from the consulate.

Did you lose the green card in Canada, or outside Canada?

@jackolantern
i'm not canadian and discovered the card is missing on the flight. must have dropped it at the airport before departing.
am stressed...
thanks for the advise u both

It was very risky to plan a trip with a plan to return so shortly before the interview. There are so many other things that could have delayed your return and made you miss the interview.

If you don't have a visa to enter Canada, nor a passport that allows visa-free entry to Canada, that would mean you must have shown the green card at the airport when checking in. Call the airline; you might have left it at the check-in counter at the airport in that particular country. Or on the aircraft ... the flight attendants may have found it on your seat or on the floor.

Otherwise, it might be in your clothes pocket or your carry-on luggage.

Do you have an expired I-551 stamp in your passport? They may let you into the US if you show that (after swiping the passport to see that your LPR status is still active), without forcing you to get the transportation letter from the consulate.

Last edited by a moderator:

any help/suggestions
HELP

For the interview:
You will have to report the loss of your greecard to police...
Then you will need to apply for a replacement
Then take a copy of your replacement application
to the interview; problem solved...