Lost alien number

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I came here with my mom, 2 brothers my sister and me. They all got their greencard and i didn't get mine. I went to the INS office to check on my record and they told me that i don't exist. INS officer told me that im not in their data base. I've contacted the INS wrote letters to the senator for help and nothing happened. They still can't find my record. Besides the freedom of speech and privacy act is there any other way for me to get my record???!!

I hope somebody can help me..
Thank you

If you were admitted as a permanent resident your passport should have a stamp and your alien registration number.

I forgot to mention that i lost my passport/ visa thats why i don't know my Alien number.. i know the only way that i can find it is thru INS but they can't find my record.. how come? What should i do? Thank you ..

Look through your immigration paperwork, something in it might have your A#. Did you become a permanent resident through adjustment of status? If yes, your I-485 receipt and approval notice would have the A#.

Did you use your stamped passport to get a job? The employer probably would have taken a copy of the I-551 stamp in your passport.

Do you know your passport number or SSN? That might help them to locate your record. If you don't know your A#, passport number, or SSN, they're probably not going to be able to locate your immigration records because there may be many other people with your same name.

Last edited by a moderator:
i came here at 1995 and never gotten my green card. yes i do have a social security number which is the only document that i have that im legal here in U.S. what happen is i lost all my document and passport.at this point i dont have any proof of document except for the ssn.# . ive ask for the transcript of my 3 diffrent schools back in arizona hoping that it would have my alien number written down but its not there. they told me that they only hold the paper works for ten years. i called dmv in arizona hoping that they will have a copy of the application when i applied for drivers license, they told me they dont only keep the file for ten years as well. u think that state department may have my records if not on INS. what else can i do.

i contacted social security as well and told me to contact INS. i am now 30 years old and i dont know what else to do..pls respond if u have anything that can help me out..

i came here at 1995 and never gotten my green card.
You became a permanent resident in 1995 and still haven't got the physical card yet? Or did you enter with some other visa and then became a permanent resident years later? What year was your passport given the permanent residence stamp?

If you became a PR by adjusting status from some other visa, you or your parents probably would have multiple pieces of immigration paperwork with your A# on it.

Your employer(s) also would have made you write your A# when you filled out your I-9 paperwork. Check with your current or former employer. They are required to keep the I-9 on file for at least 1 year after you leave them.

At the Infopass appointment, did you give them your SSN and date of birth in addition to your name, and they still couldn't find your records?

Last edited by a moderator:
I came here as a permanent resident on 1995 the same year that my passport was stamped. some how everyone else in my family got their green card but not mine. so i went to immigration office in arizona when i still have my passport and with the alien number but could find anything in the computer. now that i lost my passport and all my documents i dont have anything to show the immigration office. my former employer dont have anything in their file anymore or any record at all. i went to the INS office with my social and my ID and they couldnt give me an answer why i dont have a record. we tried in diffrent variations with my name and still came up empty...pls help if anyone can share any ideas on what i need to do...

In 14 years ...

- You didn't file I-90 to get a card
- You didn't pursue your Congressman, the Ombudsman, or the courts to obtain a card
- You didn't take a copy of the passport stamp and keep it in a safe place separate from the passport
- You didn't apply for citizenship
- You didn't memorize the A-number

At this point I don't think there is anything that can be done. Immigration didn't take proper care of your records, but neither did you.