Loss of citizenship becuase of foreign residency?

redsox5

Registered Users (C)
I am a naturalization and thinking to move to a foreign country for extended living after retirement. I have herad rumor that a naturalization citizen could loss citizenship becuase living in a foregn country for more than five years.

Does anybody know this? Please. Thanks.:)

I don't believe what you've stated is correct. US citizenship does not compel you to stay in the US alone - just like my Indian citizenship did not compel me to stay in India !!

I am a naturalization and thinking to move to a foreign country for extended living after retirement. I have herad rumor that a naturalization citizen could loss citizenship becuase living in a foregn country for more than five years.

Does anybody know this? Please. Thanks.:)

This was on old law that was repealed in 1994.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/law.html

"Prior to Pub.L. 99-653, a naturalized citizen who moved away from the US and set up permanent residence abroad within five years following naturalization risked revocation of his citizenship -- on the grounds that his promise (made on the citizenship application) to reside permanently in the US after naturalization had been made in bad faith. This five-year period was reduced to one year. (In 1994, this provision was repealed altogether.)"

I am a naturalization ...
Are you a naturalization applicant, or a naturalized citizen? Naturalization applicants can be denied for moving abroad, but naturalized citizens still maintain their US citizenship if they leave the US permanently.

So is it necessary to stay for 1 year after becoming US citizen before we go for a long term assignment abroad? Thanks..