Looks like the HR budget bill would be defeated today, still lack 13 votes

nato

Registered Users (C)
As per some reports on CSPAN, HR 4241 still lack about 13 votes despite making some changes today morning, even the republicans votes seem to be missing, essentially on some ENRON, Medicaid, food stamps issue.

None has immigration really in discussions(will have to see) and looks like that is just one part in the bill

the house once resumes from recess would be debating for 3 hrs

What is going to happen if this bill is defeated? Does it mean that our effort would be in vain? Do we have to wait till next year to fight this again if 4241 does not pass?

4241 being defeted in house is the only thing that we don't need at this time. Yes if this bill is defeted then in that case we will have to wait till Feb for the new comprehensive immigration reforms.

I think that it does not matter to the EB visa retrogression whether the bill H.R. 4241 is accepted or defeated because it contains only provision of increasing L1 visa fees and not retrogression issues. It will be better if the conference between house and senate happens quicker and they come to a conclusion favorable for more EB green cards.

I thought it had all the EB provisions were added to it, 485 filing even during retro

Tax cut for rich and more tax for middle income is another reason this is unlikely to pass, I am not sure, but if it doesnot address retro why are we waiting on this...
EB104152005 said:
I think that it does not matter to the EB visa retrogression whether the bill H.R. 4241 is accepted or defeated because it contains only provision of increasing L1 visa fees and not retrogression issues. It will be better if the conference between house and senate happens quicker and they come to a conclusion favorable for more EB green cards.

Tell me about it...

I was also wondering for the past two weeks why we have been faxing in hordes to ask support for a bill which only mentions L1 fee increase....I sent the fax anyway...but I dont think it would do much.

I am just losing all hope and muling options about going to India or going to Canada. Our efforts are all well-intentioned but the thrust is not in the right direction and of the right type.

Santosh

guys focus on drafting a letter for conference committee.

No single Democrate Reps will vote for HR4241. They define as Deficite increase act of 2005. There is a very very narrow chance for the bill to pass in floor. In this critical junction, we cannot expect any one bring an amendment to include immigration reform in this bill.

The only hope is lobbying the conference committee, if it is formed after passing of this bill. Therefore we need to focus on drafting a letter to conference committee. The possible members are listed in

http://www.hammondlawfirm.com/alerts/11.16.2005_alert.htm

H.R. 4241 Update

Source: www.immigration-law.com

11/17/2005: H.R. 4241 Update

The House has yet to debate this bill even though it was laid on table this afternoon. The House may or may not return to the session this evening. If they don't, they will pick it up early tomorrow. If they do, they are expected to have two hours of debate before they get into roll calls for this bill. It appears that the House resolution on this bill indicates that amendments may not be allowed on the floor for this bill, and it is almost certain that the House will pass H.R. 4241 without the S. 1932 immigration package.
Since the budget reconciliation bills are expected to move to the Senate-House conference committee which is yet to be formed by the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate, people are encouraged to keep sending support letters to the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate plus members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and the House Budget Committee, especially the bill sponsors, to adopt the S.1932 Section 8001 and Section 8002. Traditionally, the Speaker and the President have been nominating the conference members mostly from the members of the Committees in each House that passed the conflicting bills. Please do not give up yet. The fight is not over. Remember Yogi Berra? It ain't over till it is over. Please do not loosen your "bite!" Business and academic communities are extremely important for the last minute push, and we urge each of you to contact your employers to keep contacting these Senators and Congress people starting early tomorrow morning.

Have been watching the proceedings on the house

whole day wasted waiting for it, the house didnot reconvene after recess till about 6.15 est so it is gone for the day,
now here is this wonderful news that we kept sending faxes without knowing if it had any EB relief in it, wow!! kudos to all of us including me!!!,

as rightly said above the democrat none of them will support, there is no chance of this passing tomorrow EB reilef or no EB relief, one anohter bill think HR 3010 I saw today was defeated same way as all the democrats voted no and few republicans voted no and there was a gap of about same 15 votes for the defeat
!
perm2005 said:
Source: www.immigration-law.com

11/17/2005: H.R. 4241 Update

The House has yet to debate this bill even though it was laid on table this afternoon. The House may or may not return to the session this evening. If they don't, they will pick it up early tomorrow. If they do, they are expected to have two hours of debate before they get into roll calls for this bill. It appears that the House resolution on this bill indicates that amendments may not be allowed on the floor for this bill, and it is almost certain that the House will pass H.R. 4241 without the S. 1932 immigration package.
Since the budget reconciliation bills are expected to move to the Senate-House conference committee which is yet to be formed by the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate, people are encouraged to keep sending support letters to the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate plus members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and the House Budget Committee, especially the bill sponsors, to adopt the S.1932 Section 8001 and Section 8002. Traditionally, the Speaker and the President have been nominating the conference members mostly from the members of the Committees in each House that passed the conflicting bills. Please do not give up yet. The fight is not over. Remember Yogi Berra? It ain't over till it is over. Please do not loosen your "bite!" Business and academic communities are extremely important for the last minute push, and we urge each of you to contact your employers to keep contacting these Senators and Congress people starting early tomorrow morning.

Guys Lamar Smith (R-TX) is Senior Member of the House Judiciary Committee. If he is in the conference committe, don't expect anything from him. He is a stunch anti immigrant.

There is message on CSPAN that members are in recess and will return to discuss the budget bill.

yep!!. lets see, hope we don't have a surprise if it has no EB part

voting for hr 560 is on
md17 said:
The debate is on now on CSPAN.

Last edited by a moderator: