Long wait between interview and approval - Detroit, MI

Sander

Registered Users (C)
I had my interview on February 19th, and was then told by the officer that my application would be recommended for approval, and that it would likely be 4-6 weeks until I'd get a date for the Oath. Did an infopass today, and was informed that the application had not yet been approved, and that I may have to wait several months. I know that waiting times can't be predicted, but this seems extreme. Is anyone else in the Detroit area experiencing long waiting times?

For some reason, some IOs say it will be several months when in reality they have no clue. USCIS has up to 120 days after interview to provide you a decision. In the mean time, get an update about every 30-45 days. Before you know it you'll get your decision.

Thanks. It just seems abnormal, and I'm starting to grow weary of "it takes as long as it takes." I suppose that maybe we should have asked to talk to a supervisor, but I was so taken aback by the little information we received.

Last edited by a moderator:
contact your local senator and that might help in getting your approval or otherwise as Bobsymth said, wait till 120 days to get a decission.

Were there any issues in your case. Any arrests, pending FBI name check??.

Did you feel the IO got stuck with any questions, though he said he will formally approve it. Generally IO puts a red stamp "APPROVED" at the end of the interview.

Something is missing here or sometimes the IO might have just forgotten to approve and forward the file, it can be that simple.

Good luck

Thanks. It just seems abnormal, and I'm starting to grow weary of "it takes as long as it takes." I suppose that maybe we should have asked to talk to a supervisor, but I was so taken aback by the little information we received.

Did you received a N-652 form after your interview done which it says Congr. and you are suggested to aproval or A decision cannot make etc OR you just informed verbally?

pending FBI name check cannot be an issue since USCIS no longer interview anyone if namecheck is not done (there may be some exceptions).

Were there any issues in your case. Any arrests, pending FBI name check??.

Did you feel the IO got stuck with any questions, though he said he will formally approve it. Generally IO puts a red stamp "APPROVED" at the end of the interview.

Something is missing here or sometimes the IO might have just forgotten to approve and forward the file, it can be that simple.

Good luck

There was an arrest, but it was a minor offense and the IO claimed that it was so long ago that it had met the statute of limitation anyway. The only other thing is that we had to submit additional tax paperwork, but that arrived only a few days later.

After the interview the IO congratulated me and claimed that my application would be recommended for approval and gave me a rough timeline for when I'd likely swear the oath, but it had to go through a supervisor for approval. I had assumed that if there was an issue, that we would be notified somehow, so I was surprised to hear that it was still undecided.

Did you received a N-652 form after your interview done which it says Congr. and you are suggested to aproval or A decision cannot make etc OR you just informed verbally?

pending FBI name check cannot be an issue since USCIS no longer interview anyone if namecheck is not done (there may be some exceptions).

I received a document that detailed that I had passed the tests, but that we needed to submit additional paperwork, which we did, and the infopass confirmed that they had received it.

If you did not received an N-652 with Congr. and you are suggested to aproval checked you may wait longer. However %99.99 you will receive your Oath letter in 120 days after your interview done.