Local PCC very omportant Please Read

Mumbai consulate website says ...

Do I need to get a police certificate for the interview?

All Indian IV applicants aged 16 and over, residing in India, should obtain police certificates from the Local Passport Office. Applicants whose Indian passport was issued within the past six months may present just the Passport Office Police Certificate, and need not obtain additional police clearances.

Applicants over age 16, whose passports were issued more that six months previous to visa application, must also obtain a police clearance from the District Police Office serving the applicant\'s place of residence.

Indian passport holders applying for visas outside India should obtain a statement from their local embassy or consulate confirming they have no criminal record.

Non-Indian IV applicants residing in India should obtain police certificates from the District Police Station serving their area of residence.

Indian police certificates are not available for foreign (non-Indian) applicants applying outside India.

However, if the applicant has resided abroad since the age of 16 for periods of six months or more, then a police certificate might be required from that country, depending on which country it was. A full list of countries where police certificates are considered to be unavailable is at the National Visa Center web site.

===========================================

Based on the above, Indians living outside India shouldn\'t have the need to obtan local PCC.

Mumbai consulate website says ...

Do I need to get a police certificate for the interview?

All Indian IV applicants aged 16 and over, residing in India, should obtain police certificates from the Local Passport Office. Applicants whose Indian passport was issued within the past six months may present just the Passport Office Police Certificate, and need not obtain additional police clearances.

Applicants over age 16, whose passports were issued more that six months previous to visa application, must also obtain a police clearance from the District Police Office serving the applicant\'s place of residence.

Indian passport holders applying for visas outside India should obtain a statement from their local embassy or consulate confirming they have no criminal record.

Non-Indian IV applicants residing in India should obtain police certificates from the District Police Station serving their area of residence.

Indian police certificates are not available for foreign (non-Indian) applicants applying outside India.

However, if the applicant has resided abroad since the age of 16 for periods of six months or more, then a police certificate might be required from that country, depending on which country it was. A full list of countries where police certificates are considered to be unavailable is at the National Visa Center web site.

===========================================

Based on the above, Indians living outside India shouldn\'t have the need to obtan local PCC.

maybe this has something to do with the address for P4???

there is a guy who had an interview on May 23rd at Mumbai and says no one on that day was asked for a Local PCC !!

enthu29 "Successful CP in Mumbai on May 23" 5/24/02 9:32pm

Maybe this is caused by the confusion of the address for P4 ... if u give India\'s address they are assuming u reside in India and hence are required to produce the local PCC!

what is format of PCC issued by Indian consulate in US - Anyone?

Posting this again..cn some one pls reply? thanks.
tapasvi.

I hv got mine from washinton CG. "PCC" is not written anywhere on it.
it just says "to whom it may concern...there are no records found against \'person\'s name\'...and USA visa can be issued to the person (or something like that)"

is this how everyone is getting theirs too? I am surprised that no where it says this is PCC and issued after checking records with passport office and police department in India.
tapasvi.

I don\'t think this argument holds

in \'bluegrass\' case, it is AC140 and received P-4 in America, the same address should have been mentioned in P3. so he/she was also asked for Local PCC.

No Title

Has anyone contacted the Mumbai consulate about the PCC requirement ? Isn\'t it very tough to go each and every place in India, where we stayed more than 6 months since the age of 16.

No Title

that is not the case. someone else was there on the day I was sent back. That person had given US address for P4 and still she was sent back

No Title

Local pcc means, PCC from current residence in India ? or pcc from all over the places we lived in India. How practical would it be to get PCC from each and every place we lived in India ? No alternatives ?

Targetgc- Can you please post the exact reply you got from Chennai.

This will help all of us who are in this situation.

XML- can you please post the exact reply you received from the consulate

This will help all of us who are in this situation.

I received reply from Mumbai consulate about PCC... here it is for your information.

Quote----------
1. You do not require a p.c.c. from Taiwan as your stay there was less than 12 months.
2. You do not require a local police certificate from a police station in India as you are now residing in the U.S.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 2:57 AM
To: MumbaiIV@state.gov
Subject: Police Clearance Certificates

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am expecting immigration interview in July and need information about requirement of PCC.

PCC from Taiwan:
I was stayed in Taiwan during 1996-97 for about 8 months. The stay was divided in to multiple visits, each visit was limited to two or less months.
My P3 lists a need of PCC from that country if lived in a different country for more than 12 months AND was 16 years or older at that time. However, today I read on Mumbai consulate website that if the applicant has resided abroad since the age of 16 for periods of six months or more, then a police certificate might be required from that country, depending on which country it was.

Can you please clarify if I need to obtain PCC for previous stay in Taiwan?

Local PCCs: I have obtained PCC from Indian consulate in New York. Do I need to obtain PCC from local Police Station in the city of permanent residence, Pune? I studied and lived in Mumbai for few years, do I need another PCC from Mumbai local police?

Unquote---------
However, I am planning to take Taiwan and local residence PCC for interview. Just playing safe.

I would not trust this information

the people who respond to emails and calls are not the actual officers who have the authority to issue the visa.

Reply from Chennai about PCC that I received a few weeks back :

YOu have to get it from the Indian consulate in USA.

Customer Service Unit
American Consulate General
220, Anna Salai
Chennai 600006
Ph-91-44-8112060/2000

I will try after I reach Chennai. If it is easy I\'ll take or else i\'ll just go with the PCC from h

Local pcc for chennai

Based on the discussion so far and from the emails (atleast 3 of them) from Chennai consulate, I am thinking that local pcc\'s are NOT needed. Personally, I am thinking that I will NOT pursue to get these now. However, I am planning to email Chennai myself and take a paper copy of the reply with me just in case. (similar to carrying email responses if your P4/appointment letter didn\'t reach)

It\'s only reasonable that we are expected to trust what someone from the consulate says. (especially if their job is to answer questions right).

Vish

Your email message is flawed

Nowhere did you mention that you are going for CP.
For all I know the consulate officer must have thought you are talking about AOS.