Local INS EAD Application approved

nm1

Registered Users (C)
Just thought I'd share this with everyone in case they are in the same boat we were in.

We went to the Denver office and were able to get an EAD for my wife. The 90 days are NOT over (RD - 9/30/02) and we had not even received her 485 receipt yet. With my lawyer's help, I was able to obtain the cancelled checks (that the INS had already cashed) for the applications. When the INS endorses these checks, they put the WAC number on them - we were able to decode this and just give it to the officer at the INS - and she was able to pull up her file. She then agreed to give my wife the EAD (for one full year).

Initially, the officer said that she could not do anything without the receipt - but after I gave her the WAC number, she was able to pull up the file and do the rest. We were in this position because my wife had an offer and they needed her to start by today (10/21) and that left us with Thu (10/17) as the last day to apply (as the Denver INS does not take applications on Fridays). Ironically, my lawyers received her 485/765 receipts the same afternoon:)

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the people on this forum (especially Sahin!!) for helping me through this process.

Hope this will help someone else as well.

Regards,
nm1

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats nm1.
Does anybody know if I can do similar at Chicago office. My EAD application has been pending for more than a month. My wife needs EAD asap to start work. Please let me know....

Also, nm1 do you know if one can start working on EAD or she/he has to wait till the SSN arrives?

Thanks,
Onemorewaiting

SSN question

onemorewaiting:

Sorry I can't answer your SSN question...my wife already had an SSN (since she came into the country in 94 on an F-1)...so she did not have this issue. I hope someone else can answer your question.

Regards,
nm1

SSN issue

Onemorewaiting,
I do not think u have to wait for SSN once u have EAD. U can apply for SSN but at the same time start the job. Thats how everyone coming from India on H1 does. They come here start the job and apply for SSN.

ssmk

u can start work without SSN

I think u can start working with the EAD BUT without SSN you cannot get paid.

Thats what happened to me for the on campus job when i came in '99 on F1. I was able to work for 3 months without pay , university allows u to work for 20 hrs/week on campus. Then after I got the SSN(dont ask me why it got delayed to get the ssn ..but it took three months) i was paid for all the work i did. (And of course School authorities helped a lot in my case and were very co-operative)

THIS IS NOT A LEGAL ADVICE

Will you kindly let me know nm1 whether your case was "Family based" or "Employment based" ? My I-485 (WAC-02-271-5xxxx) , EAD, AP was filed on Sept 4, 2002 and so do my spouse's one under EB-2. If that is the case, my wife can walk in to INS San Jose office and ask for EAD. We are in possession of all the receipts but not yet received EAD. My wife really need it to start the new work asap. Regards,
-Anand