Lobbying effort

floyd

Registered Users (C)
All:
I am a newcomer to the forum, but I share the frustration that I see expressed every day.

Some recent threads were on topics such as "How soon can an asylee apply for naturalization" and "why is the FIFO system not being followed" and "why are 2001 applicants getting approved while there are still 1999 applicants?" (please understand that I have nothing against 2001 applicants specifically, being a 2005 adjustment applicant myself)

And there is the other favorite: Backlog reduction does/doesn't apply to asylees.

The constant theme that emerges from the above is, the government or congress is not interested in asylees.

How can we change this? Can we try? Lets face it, unless we are spending money in a concerted effort, this situation will not change because NO ONE CARES about asylees.

So my modest proposal: Start a lobbying effort. Identify some influential and sympathetic congressman and senator, raise some money, contribute, hire a lawyer to work on this. (if we can get AILA, International Institute or some other organization to designate a pro-bono attorney on this, that would be great. Someone washington based, with expereience in lobbying and asylum issues would be perfect)

Goals:
Push and pass legislation that makes naturalization eligibility back to asylum grant date + 5 years
[ii] Force CIS to ensure that backlog reduction applies to asylees, and make them approve by 9/30/2006 all pending adjustment applications by asylees who were granted asylum before 2002 (some other date?) and be current by 2008.
[iii] Optionally, multi-year RTD, quick processing of RTD, etc.

I know, lofty goals, but we have to start somewhere. Yes, I know this will take a lot of money. But if we can get a pro-bono heavy hitter lawyer, I think we can do this for under 50K. (based on what I read about how much it took to buy the house majority leader :) )

I am willing and able to contribute time and money on this, but this will require others to pony up as well. Is it realistic to expect 500 people to send it $100 each? How about 1000 people x $50?

Lastly, I already have a name for the bill: Asylee Rights Ratification Giving Human Dignity (ARRGHD) :) :)

Let the comments fly. If you can nominate lawyers or congresspeople, that would be very constructive.

Thanks

Floyd

Very good idea I also pondered. Let's get united! United is POWER! I think we'd first form an organization with 7-9 people as leaders who will be responsible for the routine work and the fund. If we can really get organized we'll reach our goal! Come to post your ideas, especially the gurus here.

great idea i'm with you 100%....i'm so glad that somebody finally paid attention to my idea regarding early citizenship.....please let me know what i can do...i'm ready with my $50 :)

Let's go already...

These ideas have been presented before. People volunteer and make alist and thn nothing happen but still I'm willing to do whatever it takes to achieve these goals. If it requires $500 per person, I'll do it...

Let's be serious about it this time and we will do it...but i must say everybody should come up with a suggestion.

I will suggest to consult from ALIA. ALIA is a good resourse and they did Asylee I-485 case for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
floyd said:
All:
I am a newcomer to the forum, but I share the frustration that I see expressed every day.

Some recent threads were on topics such as "How soon can an asylee apply for naturalization" and "why is the FIFO system not being followed" and "why are 2001 applicants getting approved while there are still 1999 applicants?" (please understand that I have nothing against 2001 applicants specifically, being a 2005 adjustment applicant myself)

And there is the other favorite: Backlog reduction does/doesn't apply to asylees.

The constant theme that emerges from the above is, the government or congress is not interested in asylees.

How can we change this? Can we try? Lets face it, unless we are spending money in a concerted effort, this situation will not change because NO ONE CARES about asylees.

So my modest proposal: Start a lobbying effort. Identify some influential and sympathetic congressman and senator, raise some money, contribute, hire a lawyer to work on this. (if we can get AILA, International Institute or some other organization to designate a pro-bono attorney on this, that would be great. Someone washington based, with expereience in lobbying and asylum issues would be perfect)

Goals:
Push and pass legislation that makes naturalization eligibility back to asylum grant date + 5 years
[ii] Force CIS to ensure that backlog reduction applies to asylees, and make them approve by 9/30/2006 all pending adjustment applications by asylees who were granted asylum before 2002 (some other date?) and be current by 2008.
[iii] Optionally, multi-year RTD, quick processing of RTD, etc.

I know, lofty goals, but we have to start somewhere. Yes, I know this will take a lot of money. But if we can get a pro-bono heavy hitter lawyer, I think we can do this for under 50K. (based on what I read about how much it took to buy the house majority leader :) )

I am willing and able to contribute time and money on this, but this will require others to pony up as well. Is it realistic to expect 500 people to send it $100 each? How about 1000 people x $50?

Lastly, I already have a name for the bill: Asylee Rights Ratification Giving Human Dignity (ARRGHD) :) :)

Let the comments fly. If you can nominate lawyers or congresspeople, that would be very constructive.

Thanks

Floyd

me too i'm with you folks, just lets do it.

here are some issues we should call for:
1-an early GC interview upon asylum approval
2- 5 years time limit for citizenship from the date asylum is granted.
3- asylee should have the right to sponsor family member and petition their spouses 1-2 years after grant of asylum (marriage after asylum granted to non- US citizen).

please everyone try to discuss these issues individually and come up with a plan.