Living out of country after citizenship

ca_applicant

Registered Users (C)
I'm a US citizen I'm currently employed by an American company. I live and work overseas as I'm on an international company sponsored assignment I've been visiting the US quite often on business and each time the immigration officer has asked "how long have you been overseas". I know that a citizen can live/work overseas indefinitely and there should be no issue as long as they file taxes etc and be in good standing with IRS.

I may need to remain overseas for a few years and may also change jobs (may not even work for a US company). My question is - will immigration care how long I've been out of the country ? If I come back after 3 years, let's say, can the period of absence potentially lead to any issues ? Everthing I've read said there shouldnt be an issue, but their "how long have you been away" questions worries me a bit.

Thanks !

ok.i have been in this country as a p.r for 5 yrs now i,e on a stretch....if u.s.a kicks me out tomorrow,india has to accept me .It doesent mater if i was out of india for 5 yrs,you know why?
coz i am a citizen of india.

same thing applies to you,you are a american citizen...
go and have fun...the uscis is too busy to get into the lengthy process of stripping some ones citizenship.
dont think revoking your citizenship is a simple process for uscis.

problem2006 a.k.a query11

ca_applicant said:
I'm a US citizen I'm currently employed by an American company. I live and work overseas as I'm on an international company sponsored assignment I've been visiting the US quite often on business and each time the immigration officer has asked "how long have you been overseas". I know that a citizen can live/work overseas indefinitely and there should be no issue as long as they file taxes etc and be in good standing with IRS.

I may need to remain overseas for a few years and may also change jobs (may not even work for a US company). My question is - will immigration care how long I've been out of the country ? If I come back after 3 years, let's say, can the period of absence potentially lead to any issues ? Everthing I've read said there shouldnt be an issue, but their "how long have you been away" questions worries me a bit.

Thanks !

Immigration doesn't have anything to do with you an AMERICAN CITIZEN, period.

Go do your business overseas and forget about INS/USCIS/CIS etc...
...you are an American citizen now
;)

ca_applicant said:
and each time the immigration officer has asked "how long have you been overseas". QUOTE]

The appropriate answer is: "None of your business". As a US citizen, you can be outside US for as long as you wish. USCIS officers who ask you this clearly step outside their boundaries, feel free to remind them.

Aibolit said:
ca_applicant said:
and each time the immigration officer has asked "how long have you been overseas". QUOTE]

The appropriate answer is: "None of your business". As a US citizen, you can be outside US for as long as you wish. USCIS officers who ask you this clearly step outside their boundaries, feel free to remind them.

Yes, it's true that it's none of their business bcoz you could be away for 20 years and should be able to come back. However I've heard USCIS has started asking this to monitor "suspicious" activities :rolleyes: Do they think that if they ask someone why they were away for 2 years they are going to reply "oh, I was training in a terrorist camp" so they can be hauled away and locked up?

I agree that you are well within your rights to say "none of your business" if you are asked this question.

Sam

ca_applicant said:
"how long have you been away" questions worries me a bit.

i was asked for the first time I used my US Passport (2 months ago). I was not asked for the 2nd time which I just returned back to US last week.

the immigrant officer did not even ask me a single question at all.

As a US Citizen you don't have to worry where and for how long you live. Go ahead and don't forget that you have your embassy to help you wherever you go. Immigration officers won't ask you for how long and where you have been unless it is related to some other matter othen than just immigration purpose (similar name on their lists, etc.). You went through it all to be a citizen and now you can enjoy it....

Cheers

ca_applicant said:

Thanks !

Somebody we know was born in the US in the mid-70s, but left as a 2-year old to return to their parent's home country. He returned much later to the US as a 22 year old (using a US passport). The USCIS officer at the port-of-entry was surprised at the 20-year absence, but only said, "Welcome back"!

Let me play devil's advocate here ...

The certificate of naturalization reads in part as follows:

http://www.immihelp.com/citizenship/sample-certificate-of-naturalization.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------
John xxxxx

then residing in the United States, intends to reside in the united states when so required by the Naturalization laws of the United States, and had in all other respects ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------

That means the person taking the citizenship intends to live in the US, if it is required by law? I am not sure where on the N-400 or during the interview process, such intention of the applicant was asked.

Anyway the congress can pass such law in the future that can force naturalized citizens to live in the United States? I am not sure whether that is against the constitution -- may be it is, but then with all the patriot acts and such, not sure even the 4th amendment is still intact.

Your thoughts...

Last edited by a moderator:
Alrite ppl,a state on its website officially says
one of the advantages of having citizenship is
To be able to live outside of the U.S. and not lose your citizenship.

http://www.capaa.wa.gov/citizenship.html

GeeC said:

John xxxxx

then residing in the United States, intends to reside in the united states when so required by the Naturalization laws of the United States, and had in all other respects ....

That means the person taking the citizenship intends to live in the US, if it is required by law? I am not sure where on the N-400 or during the interview process, such intention of the applicant was asked.

Anyway the congress can pass such law in the future that can force naturalized citizens to live in the United States? I am not sure whether that is against the constitution -- may be it is, but then with all the patriot acts and such, not sure even the 4th amendment is still intact.

Your thoughts...

GeeC said:

John xxxxx

Your thoughts...
According to US Law, once a citizen, you are equivalent of a native born (except holding certain high offices). The US Government can change the requirements on who can become eligible for citizenship (5 years of LPR etc), but cannot change the benefits and rights of a US citizen. US State department in the past have unsuccessfully tried to interpret the rules, ony to be rejected by US Courts.

Again, US law can be changed with a simple majority in the senate and the HR, and the president's signature. The courts can strike them down only if they violate the consitution. Passing an amendment to the constitution is more difficult.

But I wonder the why this text is even included in the naturalization certificate.

"... intends to reside in the united states when so required by the Naturalization laws of the United States.."

We all know and agree that the current laws have no restrication whatsoever to stay abroad as long as one wants. But according to the text on the nat. certificate, you (all naturalized citizens) agreed to reside in the US if the naturalization laws require you to do so in the future.

Do you all aware of the fact the you have signed up for such a deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I once read that there used to be a law that requried naturalized citizens to reside in the US for at least one year following naturalization. I can't remember if that was overturned by the courts or if Congress repealed it.

bashar82 said:
I once read that there used to be a law that requried naturalized citizens to reside in the US for at least one year following naturalization. I can't remember if that was overturned by the courts or if Congress repealed it.

It was once the case I believe but it is not a law/requirement anymore is my understanding.

Here's a pointer to some related material I just came across:
http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html#moveabroad
look at Question #3.

ca_applicant said:
My question is - will immigration care how long I've been out of the country ?

even if they care (which I doubt), there isn't a single thing those guys can do about it.

Aibolit said:
ca_applicant said:

This is a very bad answer. This was discussed before. U.S. Customs needs to know how long one has been out of the country for tax purposes.

Well just tell whatever u want to the officer..... just doing his job so don't worry u are a U.S citizens and nobody can take u us passport even if u don't live in the country so ....enjoy u citizenship. ...the only difference between u and natural US citizen born it that u ncan not become the next president. Even if u don't pay u tax u can go to prison but u citizenship will not be taken away from u . :D