Living on a prayer. My future's uncertainty is killing me. Do I have hope?

Let us know what your lawyer says. I am not aware of cases (other than hardship to an immediate relative US citizen) that you can use factors unrelated to your original application, but as I said I don’t know much about asylum.
Yes, unlike the asylum interview the immigration court and judge look at the entire picture. There is also a thing called prosecutorial discretion where your case can be terminated or pushed aside due to limited resources that ice and dhs has so that they can focus those resources on other cases.
But no matter what i m not asking for a handout. I just need more time to qualify myself for other far better reliefs and options.

Any answer is helpful appreciated.

There are a number of things at play here. First, what were the ties to your country demonstrated to obtain the F1 visa? That visa requires submitting evidence that you intend to return to your country after academics are complete. You lived in that country.

An EU member country passport holder is usually not viewed to be in danger. Plenty of EU nationals are of middle eastern descent and live gainful lives in their home country.

Whatever you create in the US is of no concern to an immigration judge. Those are not eligibility criteria for the immigration benefit you are seeking, and thus irrelevant.

Hello everyone,
i am extremely stressed out as if my life is about to be over. I reside in Los Angeles and I am Middle Eastern and a citizen of a EU member country. I applied for asylum based on racism, discrimination and xenophobic and racial violence towards me.

Background:
I came on a F1 visa and I graduated college with a degree in registered nursing in December 2016 and then I had 60 days to leave. When I realized I had to go back memories came back and I couldnt just bare it and couple days later I broke down in a busy street, was transported to the ER and was diagnosed with panic attack/anxiety based on that.
A week later I met with an attorney and filed for asylum based race and discrimination.

I had my interview mid July and 2 weeks after I got the soul crushing news that I was referred to immigration court on the second week of September.
Before I reconsult with my attorney (and pay more to prepare my case) I just wanted to get some info from you helpful people so that I could ease my mind hopefully.

My biggest fear is having to go back. This option does not exist for me. I have absolutely nothing back there and never had. I have everything here. I am fully integrated here. I would be on suicide watch if i was back there. I would lose everything.

Despite that and having a degree in a medical field that faces a big shortage in the US, I have also created and written a show ( dark comedy series) which we will start filming in a couple of weeks. I m not just saying it cause I wrote it but this one has many people interested and I have experienced people from the industry working for me for free because they believe in it and that we could sell it/get distribution and then I m able to pay these (around 10) people properly. I have no doubt this show will create a buzz and I can employ people and built up a something really positive. Literally, my life depends on that project so I am not messing around with it.
With that and my registered nursing degree plus with my love for this country I have no doubt I will be a successful immigrant story.

Is that a good thing for my case?
Could I get a cancellation of my removal order if I dont get asylum so that I would have time to work on my project and therefore, if i get an agent I could apply for O1 visa?
Does prosecutorial discretion apply here with me being able to possibly employ US citizens and/or work in a medical field where the US has a big shortage?
Or could my attorney ask for my individual hearing to be way in the future so that I have time to accomplish all that above mentioned?

Any answer is helpful appreciated.
I don't know at what stage you are with your case. But what I can tell you from experience is that an asylum case based on Race + Discrimination is super hard to prove. I'm not saying you can't win it. But it is super hard to prove and win. Remember, asylum is based on two things: past persecution and well founded fear of future persecution. You need to focus your claim and facts on these two. Unfortunately, race + discrimination doesn't cut it, it doesn't meet the bar.
I don't know if the guys have already said it: Potential to become Steve Jobs doesn't cut it either. Asylum or reprieve from being deported doesn't depend on your future potential to do great things. ICE doesn't care about that. Sorry. Deportation orders are based on the NOW, your current stuff. If you are out of status, and you get a deportation order, you have to go.
I think that most of us enter into the asylum process thinking that USCIS/uncle sam will have sympathy on our case. Big mistake. The court system here in the US doesn't care about emotions, sympathy, our future potential to do great things for this country. They care about facts. They only care about facts. Don't bother crying in front of the officer (i'm not saying you can't), but that doesn't help if your case doesn't have the facts to match with the criteria for asylum grant. In this case, race + discrimination doesn't cut it. My comments are based on my first experience + 12+ years of listening to failed/successful asylum applicants. Good luck.

Last edited:
Yes, unlike the asylum interview the immigration court and judge look at the entire picture. There is also a thing called prosecutorial discretion where your case can be terminated or pushed aside due to limited resources that ice and dhs has so that they can focus those resources on other cases.
But no matter what i m not asking for a handout. I just need more time to qualify myself for other far better reliefs and options.
You talk about "prosecutorial discretion". Please forget about this. Technicalities in the era of Trump don't usually apply. You are asking the govt. to make an exception for you. What is so special about you? Doctors, etc have been deported. Doctors, who have spent decades in the US doing amazing things, doctors with support from their hospitals, their community, have been deported because they are out of status. My friend, don't obsess over technicalities like 'prosecutorial discretion', they don't work. Be realistic.
Govt lawyers (prosecutors) are dealing with an overwork/overload of asylum cases with poor pay. They don't have time to give special consideration to anyone, anybody. They are paid the little money to get people deported. What makes you think that they will spend hours on your case and give it 'prosecutorial discretion?' This applies to the judges also.