Living in U.S., Working for Canadian Organization?

EC78

Living in U.S., Working for Canadian Organization? HELP!!!

Hello,
I am wondering about what the regulations are and what sort of documentation I would need to live (for six months? Or could I stay longer somehow?) in the United States and work remotely for a Canadian Organization. My current employer in Canada has agreed to let me work for them remotely for them from the United States, as my partner lives there. I am a Canadian citizen, and would like to know if I would need a specific visa, or what kinds of problems I might run into doing this.

Any help is so greatly appreciated:)

Last edited by a moderator:
don't worry

I live in US and a friend of mine is here from canada working for a us company. being a ca citizen, he had to get nafta visa.
in your case, I think you can just chill since you can count 6 months as visiting... i would say...

-Bash

I assume you
- work for a Canadian company
- are paid in CDN$ and
- have your paycheck deposited to a Canadian bank account.

In this case, I think you should be fine, this situation is not new and you are not technically working in the U.S. (think of a Globe & Mail reporter on assignment in Washington). You do not owe the U.S. government any income tax either.

Three pieces of advice:
1) Maintain a Canadian address (use a family member's or friend's address) for employment, tax, credit cards, and so on. U.S. companies probably won't give you credit since, after all, you're only a visitor.
2) At the border, keep it simple, particularly when entering the U.S. Do NOT try to explain the situation (but answer questions truthfully, of course). You are asked why you are entering, and you will say "I'm here to visit a friend." Do not say "partner" or give any indication that you consider the U.S. to be "home". Unlike Canada, the U.S. does not permit dual intent, so if you indicate "I want to apply for permanent residence" or "I'm looking for a job", or anything else that could indicate you might not leave before your 6 months are up you will NOT be permitted to enter.
3) Make sure you can always prove that you left the U.S. before your 6 months was up. Since Canadians do not need a visa, I'm not sure if your passport will even be stamped, and certainly not by Canada. One relatively easy way is to save a credit
card receipt each time you return to Canada, as long as it has
- the address of the business (in Canada, of course)
- the date
- your signature
This way, if you're ever asked, you can prove you didn't violate your U.S. visa.