List of addresses on N400

rk mr

Registered Users (C)
Please give me your suggestions on this.

The N400 asks for addresses from the last 5 years. I maintained a US address even though I took a few trips that were a little less than 6months. Is it enough to list the US address for this period.

I know of a friend who applied last year with similar details(many months outside the US) but he listed only the US address. He didn't have any issue with his interview due to this.

Please comment and suggest. Thanks.

mrrk

You should only list addresses where you were legally resident. Short trips overseas don't affect your residency (only your physical presence) and as such you do not need to list them on the N-400. Similarly, you wouldn't be expected to list the address of hotels where you stayed on business trips inside the US...

Thanks boatbod.

But my stays outside the US have been long. As long as 176days (less than sixmonths)
During this period I worked offshore with my US company.
I am inclined to list only the legal address in the US but it is a long period and can be questioned.

During the interview, will there be changes on the N400 - corrections or clarifications? Or is what was entered set in stone?

Thanks again.

mrrk

Did you consider your foreign address "your address" (i.e., did you have folks send mail there, magazine subscriptions, etc.). If it was your "address" then list it, if it was "temporary housing" then don't.

That's the rule I'd use (not that I'm an expert or anything in this regard - I've lived in the same place for >7years)

By submitting your N-400 you are stating that you did not interrupted your residence while you were overseas, so my advice would be just to list your US address. If you list overseas addresses, you're setting yourself up for a more difficult interview than you may otherwise be given.

Flydog, thanks.

A lot of my mailings was to my US address - which was a friend's place where I did indeed stay. However I did not rent or own housing in the US in the period I was outside.
The intent was to remain the US but didn't undergo the expenses of maintaining a place for me exclusively.

mrrk

Perhaps you could write down all the foreign addresses in a sheet of paper and take it with you to the interview. If questions are asked (which probably won't) about the foreing address where you stayed then you provide the information.

My 2 cents.

I will go ahead with the US addresses alone like many of you suggest. I will keep the outside-US info handy.
Like I'd asked earlier, do they allow you to make corrections at the time of the interview?

Boatbod, you mentioned in another thread about filing N470 if you were away for significant periods. I filed no such thing, though I spent a god 25 months outside. And I apply in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,

The N-470 only applies to a very small percentage of cases; mostly govt employees, people working for US corporations and religious workers. In addition I believe you need to have applied for it before your trip(s), so it's unlikely to be much use to you now.

Yes you can make corrections during the interview. In fact, the IO will basically step through your N-400 line by line, so its pretty easy to make changes as you go. Remember the primary rule though - don't volunteer anything not directly asked!

Boatbod, Others,

By the time of the interview, all the checks are done right? So what level of changes can be done?

Any experiences on what changes are allowed on at the time of interview. Small modificatiosn to name(with supporting docs)? Changes in dates of entry etcs? Changes in addresses?

Thanks.