• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Life In America

I still feel it's a rip off ridiculously :)

It may sound ridiculous, but it makes sense. Cell phone providers want security that you'll be able to pay off your cell phone bills at the end of every month.

If you do NOT PRE-PAY your phone and if you look to purchase a low cost phone with cell phone service, then you WILL BE ASKED for your SSN, and they WILL check your credit history.

I understand the part of "security' and ability to pay each month...but if that was the FULL story behind US cell phone politics, then the pre-paid services would have as much options as the billed ones. Secondly, the prorated fee of amonth ahead when you sign up would not be sooo hard to get back after one year that they promise when you are signing up. If there was a balance between pre-paid services, and billed services - then the issue of security would make sense...coz am sure if for eg. they would allow prepaid services for an iPhone, then there would be no need to go through paying soooo much to sign up for the billed iPhone etc. there is more to the story...and the more I think of it, the more it feels RIP OFF! On TV the other day, they were showing the most overpriced things in the US, and cell phone was the top! Texting alone is 1200% overpriced! (bottled water was on the list too).

I understand the part of "security' and ability to pay each month...but if that was the FULL story behind US cell phone politics, then the pre-paid services would have as much options as the billed ones. Secondly, the prorated fee of amonth ahead when you sign up would not be sooo hard to get back after one year that they promise when you are signing up. If there was a balance between pre-paid services, and billed services - then the issue of security would make sense...coz am sure if for eg. they would allow prepaid services for an iPhone, then there would be no need to go through paying soooo much to sign up for the billed iPhone etc. there is more to the story...and the more I think of it, the more it feels RIP OFF! On TV the other day, they were showing the most overpriced things in the US, and cell phone was the top! Texting alone is 1200% overpriced! (bottled water was on the list too).

Hi,
pls check ur inbox.

"6) Jobs Search: I may sound proud here with the current economy but will state as it is. Most people/aliens believe that they must do shoddy jobs to survive the first few year...ok - I have no objection if that is what they want. Others believe that everyone must do NURSING or similar course to survive a better job - no problem with that idea either if that is what you want to do. BUT IF you already have a degree in something else, why waste it...a few courses can 'enhance it" to fit what American employers prefer. Not all American employers resent foreign education...you can still find a job. In my experience - I find going through Employment Agencies the easiest to land in a career job. You may end up starting up as a contractor but you'll still be making some money. Contracting HELPS - especially with learning the American culture, understanding American corporate politics/bureaucracy; and just knowing how to deal with people here. They may come in slots of 3 months for each employer but you get to learn so much, and you make better money than what you can at shoddy jobs. (If you are lucky - you can get at least $11 in shoddy jobs...some places $8 an hour. With contractor job of your career - count it from $17 an hour. If one has no degree/education, you can still get mailman job for $40,000 at an office (deliver mail, sort etc within the company), or secretary (for same amount) but only through contractor...and NOT with the state"

Thanks for ur information and enlightenment, i want u to pls send me a website where i can possibly link up with any of them in the state. Or probably link me up to land in a gud one. Ur response is highly appreciated. I am already in Atlanta, Georgia. Am waiting 4 ur response, thank u

to get a job in usa you will need some really dumb good luck -otherwise it might take years before you get any kind of job yet alone some professional jobs.....job as a mailman would not happen at all-those jobs are gone and being cut out from the work force-us postal service is going bankrupt anyways

You also must pay tax every time you touch money. There are taxes before you get your money the more you make the more the take. Then almost everything you buy has a sales tax. At the end of the year the government ( federal and state) come back again making sure they have their share of your income.

welcome to the planet earth my friend... taxes are everywhere... exept in places like virgin island...

For those who live in Texas or who have been there, just want to find out if the cost of living there is very high or its affordable in terms of food, rental apartments etc