LETTER TO SENATOR(Gilbert please advise)

rudo

Registered Users (C)
I applied for my family's asylee derivative status in OCTOBER 2002.INS said it will take 195 days to process this.But the situation in my country is really getting bad,so I requested expedition of their application at the beginning of MARCH 2003.So far I have not heard from BCIS.Do you think I should approach my senator?Will he be helpful in such a case?

It depends on what "really getting bad" means.

If you can document to your senator a very serious situation, then go for it. Senators have the power to expedite applications if exceptional circumstances are shown.

The Lincoln office is still working on I-730 filed last summer. This shows that many in power do not care about the plight of asylees and refugees (as Shamshon will certainly concur).
Since many dependents live precariously and the INS does not have the quotas as an excuse here, they should process all I-730s in few weeks.

What really bad means

My country is being run by a ruthless dictator.The Opposition political party members of which I and my family are is denied food from donors since there is drought in my country.Also my wife is being harassed by militias who want her to reveal my whereabouts.She is living in fear for her life everyday and she is lucky if she manages to get food for our 2-year old children.Denial to access public services like hospital etc is routine.She spends most of her time in hiding from the youth militias and government supporters.She is basically on the run

Rudo,

The NSC states formally that it will expedite a case out of order if one or more of the following factors are present:

*Severe financial loss to company or individual.
*Extreme emergent situation.
*Humanitarian situation.
*Nonprofit status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States.
*Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: Request must come from official United States Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to our government.)
*BCIS error.
*Compelling interest of the BCIS.

I would make an appointment to see the staff member who handles immigration casework. Bring all appropriate documentation to the meeting and ask for their formal assistance.