Letter requesting evidence for I-751 despite residency abandonment

Newba

Registered Users (C)
I'm confused about a letter we received requesting evidence for form I-751.

We had sent in an I-751 (request to remove conditions) for my wife, but since we never actually moved to the U.S. and her reentry permit lapsed, she was told once when we flew into the U.S. that she had to fill out a voluntary abandonment of residency form (I-407) or get an appointment with a judge. With no imminent plans to give up her job in Canada and not wanting to face more hassles, she filled out the I-407 and surrendered her green card, despite all the money we paid for the I-751.

About 3 weeks afterwards, we received a letter from USCIS requesting more evidence to support our I-751. I called USCIS to find out if we still need to send that information, and the person said yes but was not able to explain why that would make any sense since my wife already filled out the I-407.

Is there any reason to send in more evidence for I-751 when one has already filled out an I-407?

Respond to it, not to provide evidence of a bona fide marriage, but to provide proof that the card was surrendered via I-407 and that she is in Canada (or some other country other than the US), and ask them to close the I-751. Otherwise they might deny the I-751 and then initiate a removal order which could result in refusal of entry when she tries to visit the US.

Last edited by a moderator: