Letter from USCIS requesting to bring more documents

CA DOJ Fingerprint Enquiry Delayed

Summarizing my ealier posts. I am on a quest to get a 1996 CA arrest record. I started off at the police station, was refered to the county sherriff and they said they only give records to other police & govt. agencies. Dead end there, unless I can get USCIS to request it.

So I submitted fingerprints to CA DOJ. Earlier I thought they would only provide criminal convictions but now I think they wlll provide arrest records after looking more closely at the website.

I received a letter that the results would be delayed. It stated that most delays are resolved within 30 days. I view this as good news, as I think it must mean that they need to dig up the paper file on it. (probably from the place that won't give it to me in the first place!)

Couple of points:
1. I am not even sure what USCIS is asking for. "Arrest record" is very vaugue. At first I took it to mean a police report. Now I am thinking it just means all the arrest complaints (charges) written down in a formal matter.
2. Reading the CA DOJ website, it appears again that an individual CANNOT get their own record unless they have a documented reason (letter) such as adoption and some other reasons. Isn't this unbelievable??? Why do I need a reason to get my own record? One of the reasons was citizenship so I just put that down, but they might want a letter from USCIS, so I don't know if I will get the results.

Anway, if there is anyone from CA who was arrested but not charged and no court. How did you get your arrest record?

Thanks,
SC