Let's fight againt CSC's pilot program

candie

Registered Users (C)
I have drafted the letter below to fight againt CSC's stupid pilot program. Anyone who are capable of writing, please polish it as much as you can.
I suggest we send the letter to as many congressmen as possible, in order to seek a solution. As AILA points out, CSC's unfair practice will create a class of application who file I-140/485 earlier. I assume we can find a way to sue CSC as a class if our seek of solution does not work.

Dear Honorable Senator/Congress(wo)man <XXXX>

Subject : Request for addressing the backlog for Employment based I-140/485 applications

We want to draw your attention to the excruciatingly slow and random progress of I-140/485 applications California Service centers.

We are happy that the congress men like you have put enough pressure on US CIS (formerly known as INS) to reduce the backlog of immigration applications. We are aware of the recent presentations of Mr Eduardo Aguire, the honorable director of Unites States Citizenship and Immigration Services, about the backlog reduction plan. After reading the backlog reduction plan and the milestones, we would like to make the following submissions to you.

1. Random Processing
In May 2004, California service center (CSC) introduce a pilot program for concurrently filed I-140/485. CSC has stated that people who concurrently filed I-140/485 cannot even withdraw and refile to take the advantage of the pilot program. Therefore, the total effect is that CSC process new filed I-140/485 while leaving many more old applicantions on the shelf. This is totally unfair for those who have waited there for years. We have seems quite a few people who wait for their I-140 for a year or so (the whole waiting on green card for four years or so) got layed off and the whole four years of waiting is wasted. We have also saw many people who filed in 2004 got all their I-140/485 approved.

The logic of I-140/485 is to process new cases first so that they do not have to file EAD/AP application, that will save CSC resources. However, leaving the old I-140/485 on the shelf for years will force many of them to file EAD/AP more than once, which will create CSC the same amount of work. Therefore, I think they idea of this pilot program is totally unreasonable and should be stopped as soon as possible. Basically, CSC serves the people who comes later and lets those on the front of line wait for more years. This simply does not make logical sense.

2. Manipulating Average Cycle Time
In their recent backlog reduction plan milestones, US CIS has shown that they will bring down the average cycle time to 20 months by the end of FY2004. The average cycle time was defined as the average time taken, over the last 12 months, to approve an application. Currently Vermont Service Center is showing the official processing date as 02/15/2002. That means that on an average, official time taken to approve the application, is more than 28 months. We are wondering how the average can come down to 20 months within the next 3 months . If the applications are processed in a serial manner, then to achieve the average processing time of 20 months by September’30 of 2004 (FY2004), the official processing date has to advance to 01/31/2003. It is just hard to believe that they can advance the current processing date by almost 1 year within the next 3 months. Based on recent approval trend, we believe that US CIS is trying to achieve the target results by approving a large number of very recently filed applications so that it will bring down the average cycle time because the average cycle time depends on the wait times of the approved cases in the last 1 year. This is a highly manipulative method chosen by US CIS to show the congress that the backlogs are reducing where as the applications pending for more than 2 years are not going to see much change in the pace of approvals.

3. RFE Delays
In most of the cases, US CIS is asking the applicants to submit certain documents before approving the case. We have recieved several complaints from our members who have submitted all the required information in a timely manner and still could not get any decision from US CIS for more than 3 months. We request that US CIS should adjudicate such cases within 30 days of receiving the response from the applicants.

We believe that US CIS, especially CSC with the unreasonable pilot program is accountable to the United States Congress and our only hopes of justice in this land of fairness, rest with a representative like you. We request you to ask US CIS to address the above concerns correctly. We will be looking forward to favorable action from US CIS. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
( )

Is there any body who recieved any approval from the so called pilot program. The program started in app and the eb2 or eb1 caes are showing the same dates as there were 5 months ago. I believe they are not just not approving any category and these pilots are a way to say that something might happen in furure.

pilot

there are one or two posts in this group whos 140/485 ** seems** to have been approved within few weeks. theres no substantial evidence to confirm that.

but the new "concurrent adjudication" is in place. with this new super program they are probably wasting another year or two before they come up with another "new, much improved" scheme. they'll probably use these "pilot" or "mach" programs to show politicians/congress that they are really working and improving this mess.

all this makes us suffer so much with people getting stuck in jobs, or gettin laid off after going thru this process for 3 or 4 years. i personally don't mind waiting 4 or 5 years, but with no guarantee on time frame this whole thing is a disaster!!

looks like increasing fee is directcly proportional to backlog increasing. they are probably getting paid more now and relaxing a lot.

Candie,

This is a good idea. CSC hasn't processed EB2 applications for almost a year and it's extremely unfair for us whose applications were filed last year.

As far as I know CSC should have monthly liason meeting with lawyers. I'd like to know if anyone whose lawyer attends that meeting? If your lawyer does, can you provide us the 1st hand information regarding this issue? Also, we should let the CSC know that we deserve the fair process and we shouldn't wait any longer.

Everyone in this forum who has suffered the same pain as us, please come out an idea to help ourselves.

Needluck

It's not as clear cut is it?

The pilot is probably going to pick a small sample set of applications and prove that they can adjudicate faster if they want to.

Hopefully, they can take some lessons learnt and apply them to all other pending cases.

Does this mean that your specific case might get delayed slightly more? Sure. But in the long run, you (and your dependents, current and future) should benefit from this effort. Given the current delays (2+ years for I-485), you can't be any worse off than you already are....

Of course, that's assuming that the USCIS behaves in a rational manner and learns from its pilot efforts :D

And no, I am not in the pilot program. My GC was approved 2+ years ago, with my I-485 taking ~ 6 months. During 2001 and early 2002, they were approving employment-based 485s in < 6 mnths pretty consistently for cases filed in calendar year 2001.

So, it is possible to improve adjudication times.

If you take a broader look at the effort, you'll see that it might just work in your favor. It might seem unfair at first, but maybe they'll figure out how to streamline their operations (insert wild guffaw here) and apply them to all cases.

Suggestion

Candie,

I agree with you but can you make changes to reflect that I-140 EB2
was not moved at all and earlier the date was moved backwards in name
of prima facie review ...

Also mention about the purpose of AC 21 was defeated. USCIS (CSC)
has not give any updates on what is going on etc.

Please go to the thread below and raise concerns so that our problem gets visible to rajeev et all.

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=826485#post826485

Oh No, make sure first, than do your action

I totally disagree with Candie.

Yes, we know that CSC is launching the Pilot program, however, do you
guys know who did really get benefit from this program? I submitted my
EB2 application concurrently in early April this year and until so far get
totally nothing from CSC, AP/140/485 are all pending.

The only case we know is the immigration123 case. However, I am almost
in the same timeslot with him, where is my approval notice?

If you guys see lots of cases recently submitted get approved, then do
your actions to complain. Right now, better wait and see.

I think under the guise of this "all-new" pilot program, they have gone from adjudicating 1 case in a month to 1 case in 3 months. Of course, the "pilot program" being a "pilot program" they can always justify the extra time saying that they are hard at work studying the after effects of the new processes and its' impact(reminds me of excuses I used to cook up for not meeting my project deadlines!!!)

Hi AprilCase

I don't want to contradict what you are saying but on the other hand I think Pilot program or no pilot program bottomline the process should be fair.

I am in the same situation as yours but I guess it is not fair on our part to complain when people who filed in 2002 (or even 2001) are still waiting.

I think what candie is doing is right since the whole process should be sped and be fair & in partial to all. Not be a means to help few people.

Also on your comment that only one case has approved this is only based on what is reported on these forums. And I guess we need to be proactive not reactive in handling issues since you would like the situation to be reactified before it gets worse not wait for it to get worse then think let's do something about it.

reval_wait

I totally agree with candie.

AprilCase, try putting yourself in others shoes (who are waiting since late 2002 or early 2003) for their 140 approvals and still haven't got it. It is really sad to be at the receiving end for many years.

Without a 140 approval, its is so difficult to change jobs and when it is pending for more than a year etc, if something goes wrong with the job (which is very common these days), the applicant is left with NOTHING.

The bottom line is USCIS should process the applications as they were received (FIRST COME FIRST SERVE basis) to be fair to all applicants.

I posted this earlier but couldn't see where it got posted.

Hi
I am new to this I140/485. My lawyer applied for 140/485 recently. Actually Last friday. Can someone tell em what is the difference between RD and ND. How long after you apply does it take to get one.

Thanks

RD - Receipt Date: The day when CIS receipted your appliation.
ND - Notice Date: The day when a notice was issued for your application. ND is always greater or equal to RD (since Notice is given after receipting the application).

RD is the important date for tracking purposes. USCIS's processing dates reflect the receipt dates (RD)

Generally it takes a week or two to get the receipts from CIS.

Hope this explains.

I may understand...

I certainly understand how unfairness hurts people...cos I have such poor
experience.

In fact, the fairness and unfairness problem is not new but always existing.
Take examples here, many people (I am one of these unlucky people) were
denied Labor certification during June to Oct period (last year) just because
the simple excuse "the job market is what what what", and then after that
our cases were all collected back for re-processing. Finally we got approved
in this March which means a 10-months waste of time!!!

I just doubt the pilot program...if CSC really approves 140/485 cases in 90
days. My lawyer said that NOW all the currently filing cases will fall into
the Pilot program not just those newly filed cases. Before we see anything
happened, I would suggest to collect cases/evidences for any further
fighting...

By the way, we are all on the same boat, no matter when we filed the
cases.

Aprilcase,
You are not on the same boat as us, it's reasonable that you have a different view of points.

I totally agree with Candie, why we come to US, for more freedom, for democracy, and for fairness as well, we also believe we'll get it. So we have to stand up and let anybody hear what we say, what the fairness is in GC application.