Legal use of dual passports when traveling in various countries

yiannis

I'm a naturalized citizen of the US and was born in EU country A. I want to visit an EU country B to interview for potential employment (but not to start work).

What passports (US passport or country A) should I show when:

1) at the ticket counter (leaving the US) I'm asked for a passport
2) at immigration control in country B I'm asked for passport
3) at the ticket counter in country B I'm asked for passport
4) at immigration control when I return to the US

Many thanks!

1) Country A passport (the airline cares about your ability to enter the destination country), and maybe also US passport for purposes of entering it into US's APIS, though that's not really important. You could alternately just use US passport since it probably has visa-free access to country B, but they they might ask you how long you will stay, etc.
2) Country A passport
3) US passport (again, the airline cares about your ability to enter the destination country)
3.5 At the exit checks of country B) Country A passport; you should use the same passport to enter and exit a country
4) US passport

1) Country A passport (the airline cares about your ability to enter the destination country), and maybe also US passport for purposes of entering it into US's APIS, though that's not really important. You could alternately just use US passport since it probably has visa-free access to country B, but they they might ask you how long you will stay, etc.
2) Country A passport
3) US passport (again, the airline cares about your ability to enter the destination country)
3.5 At the exit checks of country B) Country A passport; you should use the same passport to enter and exit a country
4) US passport

So if I enter the US with a US passport after step 4) does that mean that when I leave the country to visit country B for a second time I will need to show my US passport at the security point?