Legal revenue sources on L1 visa

DanielJ

I'm wondering about the "work" provisions of the L1 visa. It's kind of obvious that I cannot be EMPLOYED by anyone except the employer who petitioned for my visa. I do intend to build my own life and carreer in other ways too, and would like to do so legally... So I'm wondering about the legality of "doing one's own business" while on an L1.

I found some references about incorporating, which said that one can draw dividends, but not a salary from an owned company.

For a start, without incorporating, in my own name as a person, can I, while on an L1 visa...
- Write an application, upload it to the Apple App store, and get money from sales?
- Write a book, have it published, and get money from sales?
- Buy real estate, touch it up, and sell it for more? (Is there a difference whether I hire a carpenter to do the touching up, or I do it with my own hands?)
- Buy real estate, and rent it out?
- Make photographs / art / some useful trinket I invented, and sell it on eBay for a profit?

If I do incorporate, without drawing a salary from my own company, can I perform managerial duties "part-time"? Also, what about actual hands-on furtherance of the company's business, like coding an application and uploading it into the Apple App store in the name of the company?