• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Leaving USA for more than 6 months, what should i do

mramadan81

Registered Users (C)
I am a dv winner , i will go to USA in December and i will have to leave for more than 6 months to finish my studies, any one can tell me what should i do

If you will be gone less than a year you do not need a re entry permit, You may need proof that you are intending to reside in the US and the time you are out will affect your date to apply for citizenship.

If you intend to leave for more than one year, you need to apply for re-entry permit. People do this all the time. I have some friends who had to leave the country for work for 3 years and they got back, no problem.

why would you ever come back??..I'm mean anyone with half a brain is running away from this place ..

If you leave for more than six months but less then a year you subtract that time from the time you have had your green card. So you can get a green card after 5 years 6 months if you have a single 6 month trip ( but you can apply 90 days before ) If you are out for more than a year you have to start all over waiting for your time. If you left at 3 years for a year then when you return you start counting your 5 years.

if you traveled outside the US for a period of less then 6 months ..say 5 MONTHS AND 3 WEEKS its counted as FULL YEAR OF RESIDENCE ..BUT IF YOU LEFT FOR 6 MOTHS AND SAY 1 WEEK ITS CANCELING THE WHOLE YEAR SO YOU HAVE TO START ALL OVER ..BUT AS I MENTIONED BEFORE MANY TIMES ..LOTS of people go to citizenship interview and just say they never left more then six moths in a single year ..