Leaving the US as a PR; Naturalization concerns

A Turkish proverb says "blind and deaf people welcome each other".

PraetorianXI! Take it easy. I'm not cheating the system. In fact, I'm trying my best to follow the system. I'm perfectly legal and I'll continue to be so.

Everybody here is entitled to express their opinion, and there is nothing forcing anyone reading that collection of opinions to agree with them or not.

Shemous - you need to do whatever makes you feel most comfortable, and I apologize if my answers had the unintentional consequence of scaring you. My aim has only ever been to offer you a summation of experience condensed from my spending the last year or so hanging out in the citizenship forum. Many tales have been related by people who were in a similar position to you. Unfortunately most never found the time to write back with interview experiences, however those that did, by and large had issues proving continuity of residency due to making repetitive 5-6 month trips overseas to the same location. In some circumstances the eventual outcome was positive, but in all those cases, the candidate was studying overseas while close family members remained in the US.

Constructus - would you care to elaborate what I've done to offend you?

Everybody here is entitled to express their opinion, and there is nothing forcing anyone reading that collection of opinions to agree with them or not.

Shemous - you need to do whatever makes you feel most comfortable, and I apologize if my answers had the unintentional consequence of scaring you. My aim has only ever been to offer you a summation of experience condensed from my spending the last year or so hanging out in the citizenship forum. Many tales have been related by people who were in a similar position to you. Unfortunately most never found the time to write back with interview experiences, however those that did, by and large had issues proving continuity of residency due to making repetitive 5-6 month trips overseas to the same location. In some circumstances the eventual outcome was positive, but in all those cases, the candidate was studying overseas while close family members remained in the US.

Constructus - would you care to elaborate what I've done to offend you?

Boatbod, you did not get my point. Re-read my post.

I put in bold ( in my post) what Greencattle said about you being helpful in answering people's questions.

And I SAID I agreed with what GREENCATTLE said about you helping a lot.
In other words, I was stating that you were of a lot of help.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.
The thing is a lot of people who have lawyers think that what the lawyer says is always 100% true.

But when I see some people who have lawyers and still get RFE's or name mistakes it makes me wonder about the competencies and involvement of some lawyers. Sometimes a lot of people who have gone through some situations explain them on the forum and others refute it because their lawyers/notary said so.

So basically I was agreeing with the fact that you were helpful. Maybe I didn't express myself well.

SORRY...

If you look at PRAETORIANS post right after he also put GREENCATTLE's statement in bold and underlined it. So I am guessing that he was agreeing with that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, man. Ever since I posted this thread months ago, I've always had this not knowing what I was going to do and I only wish there were just one person who would know and tell me what I should be doing. But it seems really hard to get that kind of an answer from anybody here even though I still have hope. I don't really think my situation is such a difficult one, It is difficult for me since I haven't experienced it before. I don't want to hire another lawyer right now just for advise since I already had a lawyer while getting my GC last year. I will get a lawyer before I apply for my for citizenship of course, but that's in 2-3 years I guess.

Anyway Boatbod. Sorry for losing my temper for a minute and accusing you of confusing people and leaving them helpless just by your answering or not answering my questions here. I got hurt when you said I got enough free advise and I should get a lawyer and free advise is worth what you pay for it. It felt as if you were saying "Come on now, I'm bored of you. F*** off!"

I guess I will try the citizenship forum soon.

I don't know, man. Ever since I posted this thread months ago, I've always had this not knowing what I was going to do and I only wish there were just one person who would know and tell me what I should be doing. But it seems really hard to get that kind of an answer from anybody here even though I still have hope. I don't really think my situation is such a difficult one, It is difficult for me since I haven't experienced it before. I don't want to hire another lawyer right now just for advise since I already had a lawyer while getting my GC last year. I will get a lawyer before I apply for my for citizenship of course, but that's in 2-3 years I guess.

Its hard for anyone to take charge of your life on your behalf. What if things don't work out as expected and you end up in a bad situation?

To my simplistic way of thinking, there is no problem with you studying abroad as planned. However, you will have to wait a little longer once you return to the US before you can apply for naturalization. Is that really such a big price to pay? (Look into the 4yr+1day rule)

Anyway Boatbod. Sorry for losing my temper for a minute and accusing you of confusing people and leaving them helpless just by your answering or not answering my questions here. I got hurt when you said I got enough free advise and I should get a lawyer and free advise is worth what you pay for it. It felt as if you were saying "Come on now, I'm bored of you. F*** off!" .

NP. Probably not the best way to get my point across that you shouldn't base major life decisions solely on free advice handed out in public forums.

Jackolantern?

Wow! You are a persistent person and not in a good way. If you act like this in a public forum, screaming and shouting for complete strangers to respond, I cannot imagine what it must be like to live with you. If you are very desperate, speak to an attorney. I, for one, would not put up with your persistent post bumps and questions unless I was compensated well.

Wow! You are a persistent person and not in a good way. If you act like this in a public forum, screaming and shouting for complete strangers to respond, I cannot imagine what it must be like to live with you. If you are very desperate, speak to an attorney. I, for one, would not put up with your persistent post bumps and questions unless I was compensated well.

Who do you think you are?!! A father of everybody? I don't even know you Mr. insulting people you don't even know or haven't ever talked to pianoplayer. You are really pissing me off.

You HAVE to be really persistent to get help from other people on public forms. Especially in my situation when I needed an answer almost right away.

You are really being a jerk, you know?

Don't worry! I don't need someone like you to live with me and people living with me are perfectly happy. Needless to tell someone so prejudiced like you , but I'm so not persistent about asking people for help or anything else and I don't even ask them for anything unless I really have to such as in this situation.

Why don't you just go play your piano anyway?

Who do you think you are?!! A father of everybody? I don't even know you Mr. insulting people you don't even know or haven't ever talked to pianoplayer. You are really pissing me off.

You HAVE to be really persistent to get help from other people on public forms. Especially in my situation when I needed an answer almost right away.

Don't worry! I don't need someone like you to live with me and people living with me are perfectly happy. Needless to tell someone so prejudiced like you , but I'm so not persistent about asking people for help or anything else and I don't even ask them for anything unless I really have to such as in this situation.

Psst! you get what you paid for... :rolleyes:

I just received my Greencard and I'm having to go back to my country of origin for 10-11 months to finish my education (I have one year left in my program and US universities wouldn't accept all of the 3 years' worth of credits I'd accumulated).

I understand that for the purposes of my Greencard, I can be out of the country for less than a year without having to file a re-entry permit for my return.

I also understand that for purposes of naturalization, I should return to the US within 6 months.

I have also been given what seems like good advice that I should apply for a re-entry permit before I leave, even though I will be gone for less than 12 months, to show my intention to return to the US and not intending to abandon my status.

I'm planning to come back for a visit within 6 months.

My question is: should I apply for a re-entry permit, then leave for 5 months, return for my visit, then apply for another re-entry permit for the next 6 months? (fees are about to go up...that would add up to about 800 bucks!) Is that the best thing to do? I'd like to avoid paying 800 extra dollars for these re-entry permits, but I'd also like to keep in status toward getting naturalized.

Thank you so much for all your help.

SEHMUZ

Shemous hello you have two problems,you need to maintain your US residency but if you stay out of the country for longer than 6 months at a time immigration will or might consider your case as an abandonment of your residency.I wish there were a clear cut answer to your situation.But there are so many variances in time and immigration rules that will or might affect your case that there is no definitive answer.In my opinion i believe that you should travel to the United States every opportunity you can afford.
Even if its for a couple days just to show that u are coming back before arousing suspicions on a lengthy stay abroad.Just my opinion

Always interesting to see how someone reacts to the truth when it is pointed out to him. In this case, you behaved exactly the way I predicted you would.

In any event, why does it upset you so much? I expressed an opinion, and you tore yourself up over it. I wonder why.

Always interesting to see how someone reacts to the truth when it is pointed out to him. In this case, you behaved exactly the way I predicted you would.

In any event, why does it upset you so much? I expressed an opinion, and you tore yourself up over it. I wonder why.

Oh really!

Shemous hello you have two problems,you need to maintain your US residency but if you stay out of the country for longer than 6 months at a time immigration will or might consider your case as an abandonment of your residency.I wish there were a clear cut answer to your situation.But there are so many variances in time and immigration rules that will or might affect your case that there is no definitive answer.In my opinion i believe that you should travel to the United States every opportunity you can afford.
Even if its for a couple days just to show that u are coming back before arousing suspicions on a lengthy stay abroad.Just my opinion

Thanks, man! Glad to see somebody here to actually help.

I applied for re-entry permit when I had to go back to my country for a year to finish school there. I did not have any problem coming back to USA and I am a citizen now.

Good luck.

I applied for re-entry permit when I had to go back to my country for a year to finish school there. I did not have any problem coming back to USA and I am a citizen now.

Good luck.

That's great to know guynew28!

So did you visit the US at all during that year or did you just go back at the end of the year?

I also applied for the reentry permit before I left the US and I got a letter from them saying they have received my application and it is in process, but I haven't heard anything back from them since then. Do you remember when you received yours and is there anything else you would like to suggest me doing?

Thanks a lot.

I left for about 10 months and did not come back to USA during that time.
It was a while back when i applied for re-entry permit, i believe it took 3 months.