Leaving the country at the expiry of J status and application or Jwaiver

bhoray

Registered Users (C)
I'd like to enquire if I'm likely to experience any problems if I apply for a J waiver from outside the US. My current program ends on Aug 17, I'm planning to apply for a waiver on the grounds of 'interested goverment agency' via the Texas Conrad 30 program, however they do not accept applications until September 1. This inevitably means that I'll have to leave the country by Aug 17 (+ 30 days allowed). I'm working on a job offer which is very likely to be successful, however the whole process of obtaining a waiver thru to granting of H1b may take on average 6 months.
What is the risk involved in applying for the waiver from outside the US?

:)

See if your lawyer can get an extension on the J visa until they start accepting applications. My husband had a similar situation. He had been accepted to the Conrad 20 (at that time) in Nevada. A few months later, he was offered a position in Iowa with significantly higher salary. So our lawyers had kind of a mess trying to explain the situation. Anyway....his fellowship ended on June 30th. The lawyers was still in the process of applying for the visa waiver for Iowa. He was not granted the waiver until Nov 3 and started his new job on November 5th. During those 4 months, he did not have to leave the country.

Hopefully you already have a lawyer, but if not this is the lawyer we used. Ann Badmus: badmuslaw.com

good luck