Leaving for India while I-485 is pending

kumar_1974

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I\'m planning on a trip to India sometime in June 2002 for my brother\'s wedding. My RD 10/22, ND 12/01, EAD 12/19 and AP 01/03/02.
My employer would not extend my H1 visa as I received my EAD card. I would like to know if there would be any issue using my AP to leave and re enter US.
Please post any problems if you had faced or your friends. Your help would be highly appreciated. Thanks,

is AP the only doc needed when come back, since I don\'t have h1b stamped on my passport? thanks (eo

Experience

They just need your AP document and Passport. Thats all. Anyway, its safe to carry EAD along with old H1 notices and other employment documents like pay stubs if you have. They do not see for H1B stamps if you have AP.

I had my passport reissued and travelled to India on AP. While coming back they did not even ask for old PP. They just saw the AP and stamped my new PP which did not have any visa stamps. But I have been directed to the the INS office near by where they checked my A# and stamped my PP. Its totally cool. No problems.

Thanks a lot, rk12345. two more question...

How many times can we use the AP?
I got two pieces docs with my photo and stamp
another one without photo and stamp.
Do they ask and keep the original AP doc?

Is there a time limits we can stay outside and use AP come back?

Thanks

You need transit VISA if your H1 expired.

If you are traveling through any other country you need transit visa. It happened to my friend at Chicago airport. While going they have not allowed him to board without transit visa. His H1 was expired and He is travelling on AP. That delayed his travel two more days.

Please Clarify

If I travel to India via London or Frankfurt(stopover to change a flight) based on your comments do I require a transit visa?.
Please clarify. Thanks

Reply to qry

I travelled only once. But I think it should not be a problem to travel more than once as INS usually give 3 AP documents. You can check with your lawyer or local INS office. Hope this helps.