leaving country during N400 application

citihorn

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks, I filed the n400 application on june 25 and just got my application receipt on july 20th. My address is in Dallas, Texas but I just got an offer to leave the US to go to Singapore for a new job. Is it possible to complete my US passport application while I'm in Singapore? Any idea what I need to do?
My concern is that if I take the job in Singapore, I will have to sell my house in Dallas...

Any advice would be appreciated.

It is not possible to complete the N-400 process while abroad. Going back and forth is an option as long as you have the dates in hand ie. fingerprinting and Interview date. Also keep in mind of continuous residency requirement (2.5 yrs + 1 day). Selling your house is a personal/financial decision. Also processing time is taking less than 6months in Dallas. Check out the thread on the Dallas N-400 to give you an idea of what/when to expect things bearing in mind that each application is unique. Try to push out your start date as much as possible citing reasons such as selling your house, finding accommodation in Singapore (should you choose to take the job) etc. my 2cents. ( I AM NOT A LAWYER).

Thanks ga0509. Sounds like the best option is to take the job but to keep the same US address until my process is complete? I will also ensure I have the flexibility to come back to the US for the Interview, oath and Passport processes (I'm thinking 2 trips?) . I don't think the continuous residency requirement will become an issue as I haven't really left the US much in the last 5 years.

It seems to me that your best option is to delay your move to Singapore until you complete N-400. I am not sure you know what steps are there, but usually it is one visit to provide fingerprints, another visit to do the interview, and depending on the local office you'll do the oath on the same day of interview, or at a later date on a oath ceremony. After that you can apply for a US passport and you are all set. As people have pointed out N-400 processing is quite fast nowadays. Each case is different, but you could be done in about 4 months from the date you applied.

You could do short trips to Singapore in the meantime to look for accommodations and things like that, but if you move to take a new job before you complete your naturalization that could mean trouble.

Unfortunately I won't be able to ask for delay from the hiring company and the job is too good to pass up. I intend to go to Sing with my british passport, work there until the next step of the process (FP or Interview or PP) then fly back to get that process done.
I will delay the sale of my house until the process is complete & ensure all mail is opened timely by my wife who will probably remain in the US until the house is sold & my PP is in my hand.

Unfortunately I won't be able to ask for delay from the hiring company and the job is too good to pass up. I intend to go to Sing with my british passport, work there until the next step of the process (FP or Interview or PP) then fly back to get that process done.
I will delay the sale of my house until the process is complete & ensure all mail is opened timely by my wife who will probably remain in the US until the house is sold & my PP is in my hand.

Keep in mind that you'll have to disclose your new place of employment at the interview. The fact that you're working abroad can create additional problems.

vorpal, Thanks for the post...What kinds of problems will this pose? why would the uS government care if I leave the US as long as I legitimately qualified for the citizenship in the first place...
why would they care if I leave the US as long as I continue to pay you US taxes?
note both my children were born in the US and my wife is a US citizen.

vorpal, Thanks for the post...What kinds of problems will this pose? why would the uS government care if I leave the US as long as I legitimately qualified for the citizenship in the first place...
why would they care if I leave the US as long as I continue to pay you US taxes?
note both my children were born in the US and my wife is a US citizen.

The problem is abandoning your Green Card and current status by clearly showing you are no longer residing or living in the US. Not only could they deny your oath, but you could very well be at risk of losing the Green Card as well.

Either a) take the job and risk any US status or b) wait till you are officially sworn in and then move freely.

Probably a tough choice, but the INS can be pretty strict about this sort of thing...

Ouch! Does anyone have a 3rd opinion??? At what point would it be "safe" to leave the country...is it after the interview? oath? or do I have to wait until the passport is in my hands.

Given the fact that I married a us citizen, does this change things? i.e. my green card was awarded based on my wife being a citizen so what does it matter if I leave the country and continue to pay taxes?

I applied June 25th and just rcvd the app receipt on July 22nd...still no FP date so I think I'm at least 4 months away from this process completing. aaaargh!

If I were you I'd reconsider the whole thing.
Singapore income tax are really low and you would end up having a huge tax liability in the US (given that your job pays more than $100k).
If you don't care about tax issues and want to become a USC then you should wait until you become a citizen to leave.
A visit of a week or two there wouldn't be a problem but if you move there now and come back just for your appointments, that would raise a red flag.
You don't have that long to wait anyways, 2-3 months at worse.

If the hiring firm wants you badly, ask them to write up a letter saying that your job is temporary and put some dates on it (say a year). You can then show this if any questions are asked during your interview. Make sure you keep your residence/bank accounts/drivers license/tax filings current.

Ouch! Does anyone have a 3rd opinion??? At what point would it be "safe" to leave the country...is it after the interview? oath? or do I have to wait until the passport is in my hands.
For naturalization you are required to maintain continuous residence in the US until the oath, and accepting employment overseas is an indicator that you have broken continuous residence. If you don't want the overseas employment to count heavily against you, it needs to be for a US company or a short-term contract.
Given the fact that I married a us citizen, does this change things? i.e. my green card was awarded based on my wife being a citizen so what does it matter if I leave the country and continue to pay taxes?
Her citizenship doesn't really matter. But having a spouse who remains in the US while you are away helps to convince them that you have not broken your ties of residence. However, you still have the employment issue counting against you.

If you take up employment outside US, you are no longer a US resident. You can work in Singapore after clearing your immigration process.

I know a colleague of mine who had similar situation and he ended up giving up foreign assignment.

June 10, 2009 : N 400 Filed at Phoenix
June 18, 2009 : FP notice received
July 9 , 2009 : FP done at Denver CO
Waiting for IL

I applied June 25th and just rcvd the app receipt on July 22nd...still no FP date so I think I'm at least 4 months away from this process completing. aaaargh!

The oath. After that go where you want.

Why do you bother asking opinions if you want to keep asking until you get the answer you want?

I could easily give you the answer you want and mislead you if you want me to. Spend 2 good hours reading some naturalization law and you'll see for yourself.

You have to be a good RESIDENT until you take that oath. After that do what you want.

Otherwise consult an immigration lawyer and get your question answered.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks to all your posts- this is an awesome forum, I think my best option is to work for the new company out of the US (if they allow this - after all they do have operations here) and spend 3-4 weeks during the next 3-4 months in Sing until I get my citizenship. Then the company can formally relocate me to Sing. If they don't agree then looks like I don't have a choice but to say that I can only join the company after 3-4 months until I get my PP...then I will cross my fingers that they're willing to wait for me :)

His wife will still be a USC and he could obtain another green card when they come back (and won't be paying FIT, which doesn't hurt nowadays).

This is true but...I prefer to go to singapore with the same passport as my wife...I've already resigned myself to the fact that will by US taxes...and I'm not willing to go through the painful green card process again.

vorpal, why would the uS government care if I leave the US as long as I legitimately qualified for the citizenship in the first place...
wh.

The fact is that to be eligible to complete the citizenship process, you must remain a resident of the US. So, moving to Singapore means you are not legitimately qualified.