****Leaving country after getting GC******

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter

Registered Users (C)
If I plan to leave US after getting GC and stay out of US for more than 180 days, what should I do? Is there any way to protect your GC while staying outside US for a long time?
Any advice?

Starter said:
If I plan to leave US after getting GC and stay out of US for more than 180 days, what should I do? Is there any way to protect your GC while staying outside US for a long time?
Any advice?

Apply for re-entry permit showing reasonable cause.

wong561hb said:
if you plan on coming back within a year, I don't believe you need a reentry permit

True. But in that case, he always have to face question at POE why he is staying long period outside USA. It's POE officer's discretion to deny/allow entry if the answer is satisfactory/unsatisfactory. Re-entry permit makes life easier. It also provides leverage if he decides to stay more than one year or so - without coming to USA upto 2 year. It's always advisable to get re-entry permit if someone decides to stay outside USA long period of time.

Thanks for the replies guys. Where can I get more information about the reentry permit? How long does it take to get one?

THanks

I know someone who stayed away for nearly a year and only came back for 2 days to make sure her green card was still valid.

aonflux said:
I know someone who stayed away for nearly a year and only came back for 2 days to make sure her green card was still valid.

Possible but risky. Just "occasional visit" does not ensure GC validity. He needs to "live" in USA.

Last edited by a moderator:
pralay said:
Possible but risky. Just "occational visit" does not ensure GC validity. He needs to "live" in USA.

Pralay - If one decides to move back to native country - Is there a way to maintain US GC. Questions that come to mind are:

1. How often one needs to visit US and how long do you need to stay in the US
2. Is one still eligible to apply for US citizenship if s/he continue to maintain GC by visiting US

Thanks,

anonymous_nj said:
Pralay - If one decides to move back to native country - Is there a way to maintain US GC. Questions that come to mind are:

1. How often one needs to visit US and how long do you need to stay in the US
2. Is one still eligible to apply for US citizenship if s/he continue to maintain GC by visiting US

Thanks,

The basic premise of GC is that the person needs to "live" or "intend to live" in USA. When the person decides to "move back" to his native country, technically that intent is gone and therefore GC becomes invalid. Basically any foreign visit/stay has to be temporary in nature and should have specific timelimit. For example, if someone obtains re-entry permit, the temporary means two years and time limit is two years.

If a person moves back to native country and at POE he says "I am visiting USA to keep my GC valid" probably the officer will revoke his GC immediately. So let's delete the word "visiting US" from vocabulary/dictionary when it comes to mantaining GC.

On the other hand, keeping some tie with USA (having a real estate in USA or back account in USA or paying tax in USA) and then visit US occasionally can only back up or strengthen his argument that he "intended to live in US", when his GC validity comes to question. Basically these things works as "meterial proof". But none of these can ensure the validity of GC hundred percent. Only way to ensure GC validity hundred percent is "living in USA".

To answering your original question, no matter how often you "visit US", your GC becomes invalid if you don't live in US (unless you have re-entry permit).

There are specific criteria for citizenship eligibility. One is continuous residency. If a person don't live in USA and "visit US" occasionally (basically manage to enter US) he is never going to be eligible for citizenship. Check out http://www.uscis.gov to see eligibility criteria.

Also checkout 'Life After GC' forum. There are enough discussions regarding this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.