leaving and entering using AP

krisnkris

Registered Users (C)
HI
please help me on

1)what are all the documents required to travell on ap.
2)before leaving USA what are all the steps i need to do at the airport .
like i need to get stamp on AP before leaving same way comming back also what i need to do.
3)before leaving no need to show my AP at air port at all.

thanks
kris

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

U don't need to show anything while leaving US with your AP, while entering back u need to have all the three original copies of your approved AP. It's not a bad idea to carry your EAD with you just in case.

Have a safe trip

Transit Visa

While travelling on AP, you may still need a transit visa for most of the european countries. I heard different views but make sure you confirm with your carrier. If flying through Asian countries, you should be fine.
:)

myself_12342002 said:
Hi

U don't need to show anything while leaving US with your AP, while entering back u need to have all the three original copies of your approved AP. It's not a bad idea to carry your EAD with you just in case.

Have a safe trip

---------------
Sorry, I cannot aggree with this. I've just posted reply on "Question regarding AP" thread regarding this misunderstanding but I will repeat here briefly.

You can travel back and forward as many times as you need even with ONE AP copy. Suggestion that one copy is for INS, another for airline and only 3rd for yourself IS NOT TRUE. This is what I learned from immigration officer.
We are given more than one copy just for our convenience and safety.
I believe airline needs to leave a photocopy for themselves but they just lazy so it's easier for them to demand one from you.
DON'T GIVE IT UP!

You might need to show your ap document before boarding the plane on your return flight. Happend to me in Frankfurt. The airline agent disappeared and had her supervisor sign off on some airline document. They returned the ap document to me.

When you arrive in the U.S. you will go to a secondary inspection room, turn in your ap, they run your records then stamp it and your'e on your way....

No big deal.

EAD won't help you since it doesn't establish eligibility to travel (re enter) I believe says it on the EAD.

Hi voronv

'am sorry still i didn't understan what ur saying.
please could u explain more briefly.
1) i got 3 documents from ins about my AP.
so for each one doucument i can use for each trip.

this is what ur saying or else please forgive me and explain more.
thanks
kris

Voronv

Which air-lines did u travel with?! and who said that they give 3 copies for your convenience. When you leave USA u don't need to show your AP to anyone, while entering back into USA, U need to show ALL 3 copies at the immigration desk. While checking in from a overseas destination as u will not have a valid visa stamped on ur passport, airlines operator asks for the proof of document to travel to USA, and he/she returns it as soon as he/she verifies the information. My friend took 1 copy thinking that it is enough, he was stopped at the LAX airport and his brother had to get the other two copies from his home in Seattle and gave it to the authorities to get my friend out of the air-port... When u submit three copies at the immig. gate officer will stamp on all the three AP papers. I have travelled thrice on AP in 6 months, trust me U need to carry all the three approved AP copies with you..

Mr myself
Did you get all 3 AP copies back on each visit after verification/stampings ?
Else how do you travel on subsequest times ?
thanks..

myself_12342002 said:
Voronv

Which air-lines did u travel with?! and who said that they give 3 copies for your convenience. When you leave USA u don't need to show your AP to anyone, while entering back into USA, U need to show ALL 3 copies at the immigration desk. While checking in from a overseas destination as u will not have a valid visa stamped on ur passport, airlines operator asks for the proof of document to travel to USA, and he/she returns it as soon as he/she verifies the information. My friend took 1 copy thinking that it is enough, he was stopped at the LAX airport and his brother had to get the other two copies from his home in Seattle and gave it to the authorities to get my friend out of the air-port... When u submit three copies at the immig. gate officer will stamp on all the three AP papers. I have travelled thrice on AP in 6 months, trust me U need to carry all the three approved AP copies with you..
--------------
Hello my friend,

We don't want to mislead our brothers, do we?

So that LISTEN EVERYONE, our advice: IF YOU HAVE 3 COPIES OF AP, - TAKE ALL 3 WITH YOU as a precaution!

Now listen those of you, who has less than 3 copies: CALL USCIS FREE # for help. Anyway DON'T GIVE UP any of your copies to the AIRLINE clerks! This is not a requirement of a law.

As for IMMIGRATION OFFICERS: normally they should NOT request you for ALL 3 copies.
I don't know about LAX, but (answering to your question) IMMIGRATION OFFICER in NEWARK,NJ airport took and stamped my ONLY 1 copy of AP.

Moreover, he explained me that ALL COPIES ARE INTERCHANGABLE and re-usable and NOBODY has a right to take it from me.

This is based on MY OWN EXPERIENCE that could of course differ from yours.
I don't want to argue that's why I recommend guys to call INS free #.

Only 2 copies received. Anybody else received just 2 or 1 copies?

I recieved only 2 copies with photos. Has anybody else received just 2 or 1 copy(ies) and not have only problems?

You should be fine, just make 3-4 photocopies of the set, and just give them when asked, when entering here they will just stamp on the original. Do not give originals in India just photo-copy.

OmGV, I had received 3 copies, but when I travelled to canada, they took away 1 copy, so I was left with 2 (one of them stamped). then I travelled to india, uk and back with 2 copies. They were fine with it.
I think this time I got both back.

J

I know there are difference of opinions on AP document copies (2/3) and the usage at POE.

Let me share my experience...

When I applied for AP1, I received only 2 copies but the second time (AP2) I received 3 copies. It doesn't matter whether you receive 2 or 3...even one copy is enough. Have some photocopies of the document and give to the people who are very much concerned about it (May be airlines-officials).

At port of entry, I just submitted only one copy of my AP (Though I had 3 with me), they stamped it, took photocopy of that document and returned me the one I submitted. They didn’t ask me anything about other copies. Neither they asked me any questions nor any other supportive documents.

As 'myself_12342002' told, I never heard of submitting all the copies at POE and get it stamped.

After my I-485 approval, when I went for PP stamping I just returned all the three copies. (One stamped at POE and the other two are not) No questions asked. Hope this clears someone’s doubts.

feb27 said:
I know there are difference of opinions on AP document copies (2/3) and the usage at POE.

Let me share my experience...

When I applied for AP1, I received only 2 copies but the second time (AP2) I received 3 copies. It doesn't matter whether you receive 2 or 3...even one copy is enough. Have some photocopies of the document and give to the people who are very much concerned about it (May be airlines-officials).

At port of entry, I just submitted only one copy of my AP (Though I had 3 with me), they stamped it, took photocopy of that document and returned me the one I submitted. They didn’t ask me anything about other copies. Neither they asked me any questions nor any other supportive documents.

As 'myself_12342002' told, I never heard of submitting all the copies at POE and get it stamped.

After my I-485 approval, when I went for PP stamping I just returned all the three copies. (One stamped at POE and the other two are not) No questions asked. Hope this clears someone’s doubts.
What was ur POE?

AP and trasit VISA mess

Just taking out my frustration here:

AP ND: 11/25/03 for the whole family
My AP approved on 4/27/04
Family AP approved on 5/18/04 - why the difference? - received in same envelop. (i.e. close to 7 months)

Tried to book a ticket to travel on June 2 - reservations available through Air India. Need Transit VISA at London.

Tried to get appointment for getting transit VISA - first available appointment 3rd June.

All the bookings available after this date are for at least $250 more per person.

Now trying for July dates - returning in August - no flights available on the desired dates.

Parents' visitor VISA rejected. So can't meet them when desired.

hmmmmmmm :mad: :rolleyes:

GC_Ka

Everytime I enterd back in USA, I got all the three copies of my AP back, I re-entered the country via LAX(twice) and SFO once. From other comments looks like each port of entry has it's own rules. I am not trying to confuse any of our mates here, I was responding to the Kri's original message. As and F Y I.. Looks like even the fingure printing and eye scanning at the air-port also depends on the country that you embark the flight. I came from NewZealand last month, I was not asked to do neither fing. printing nor the eye scanning at the LAX Air-Port, but I was asked to give all the THREE ORIGINAL copies of my approved travel documents and all the three papers were stamped and all the three copies were given back to me. AP rule changes when you travel to Canada....

Hope this clarify's some questions. I would not sweat on travelling on AP at all, my suggestion (based on my experience) is to carry all the three approved AP copies with you while you are travelling...

Cheers
Myself

http://www.immihelp.com/gc/aos/ap.html

Those who don't want to go through the link:

Advanced Parole(Form I-512) for adjustment applicants will be issued valid for a period which coincides with the time normally required for completion of an adjustment application not to exceed one year. (It means that is valid for one year looking at the current status of adjustment of status processing.) It is usually valid for multiple entries. The approved Advanced Parole form is called I-512 and usually three copies of them are given. One copy for the applicant, one copy for the USCIS at the port of entry and one for the airline(so that they let you board the plane with out other valid visa.) First time you travel, you give the appropriate copies to airline and USCIS, and USCIS will stamp your copy. Subsequent times, you can just show your copy and travel.

Any adjustment of status applicant who leaves the U.S. without advanced parole is automatically con sired abandoning his/her application for adjustment of status. Such a person will generally not be allowed back in the U.S. The person would have to do consular processing while remaining out of US. This applies to going to any place outside US, even going to Canada(Even Canadian Niagara Falls) or Mexico or places like Bahamas. (This requirement does not apply to people who have applied to adjust to permanent resident status and are maintaining H/L status.)

All this immigration documentation is individual dependent. Whatever Immigration personnel you meet at the POE knows or whatever is their understanding, that is the way he/she acts and that is what is perceived as the truth. So whatever everyone is right but what is stated above is the real fact.

jrao124 said:
OmGV, I had received 3 copies, but when I travelled to canada, they took away 1 copy, so I was left with 2 (one of them stamped). then I travelled to india, uk and back with 2 copies. They were fine with it.
I think this time I got both back.

J
I guess, when you say "they" you mean ARILINE, not immigration officers?

If so this is exactly what I wrote above: SOME AIRLINE clerks are lazy or stupid to make a photocopy and may demand your original for themselves.
DON'T GIVE IT UP. Scare them, request to see the supervisor or tell that you are going to report this suspicious request to their bosses, FBI and CIA.