Lean mean EAD Renewal Application

gb04

Registered Users (C)
I am thinking of applying for EAD renewal for both my spouse and myself by mail. I went through the requirement in the instructions and it seems I can get away with just the following:

1) Actual I-765 application x 2
2) One check for $360 for both made to DHS
3) 2 passport size photos x 2
4) Copy of I-485 receipt x 2
5) Copy of last I-94 x 2
6) Copy of current EAD x 2

Thats it. No cover letter, no copy I-140 approval document, no copy of birth certificate, etc. etc.

What are the chances they will refuse it? After all, thats what the instructions say. I mean when I used to file taxes by myself in the good old days, I followed the instructions to the letter, so why not here?

Do you guys think its stupid or smart? I feel if an RFE is issued, it won't be because I didn't follow the instructions....they can get all they want from this application only and anything over this is just unnecessary harrassment which they can do no matter what combination of documents you provide over the requirement. Thoughts?

gb04 said:
Do you guys think its stupid or smart?
No offense - it's stupid to ignore experience of all others. At least add driver license and passport color photos. And make 2 checks instead of one.

Ok, I am sending color photos. As for checks, I will follow the same procedure which my lawyer did for filing my original EAD and I believe it was one check for both applicants. If it was seperate, I will write two checks.

As for driver's license...I never sent that even in the original application if my memory serves me right and I didn't come across anyone suggesting we should.

I think the point of this excercise is to find the least amount of documents which should work for EAD approval. If I do take this chance and it works, we could save a lot of people a lot of paperwork and time.

I have a feeling that the officer who processes these cases would also just like to see the paperwork relevant and to the point. For instance, I fail to understand why they would require a cover letter when the application is for exactly that...to tell them we would like to apply for EAD renewal, etc. And why would they need a driver's license when they have the original EAD copy, passport photos, copy of 485 receipt, etc.

But, thanks for your input...no offense taken and more comments welcome.

OK. May be you are right abou DL but there should be a document to establish your identity. About cover letter - it's good to include it just to list all documents that you are sending. It can save time for officer to check if application is comlete or not.
Also sometimes people are getting RFE for I-140 sometimes not - so it's up to you to include it or risk getting RFE. For me it was easier to get additional 2-3 copies than wait for RFE.

You need to send 2x765 filled and signed, 2x2 photos with A# onthe back, two checks, copies of 485 for both , 140 for self , copy of mariage license, copies of previous cards
that worked 4 times for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Include I797D

For EAD renewal include I797 D this is a stub that came with you original EAD mailer. It just makes it faster.

I screwed up and forgot to send mine (they say its optional).

Thanks,

hoochie said:
For EAD renewal include I797 D this is a stub that came with you original EAD mailer. It just makes it faster.

I screwed up and forgot to send mine (they say its optional).

Thanks,

So the original stub has to be included in the application? or a photocopy will do? How did this omission effect your application?

I am curious because this is the first time I am hearing this.

Our EAD got approved today for both my spouse's and mine. I sent exactly what I initially listed plus a cover letter and I797 D...and split the checks in two as was done in my initial application. Thanks to all who gave me suggesstions and feedback, especially Hoochie for pointing out 797D.

Hi gb04

Hi gb04,

Did your EAD got approved in a month ? What was your processing center ? Also, did you receive any fingerprint/biometrics notice for your EAD renewal. Today I saw a couple of posting about EAD renewal where people have got fingerprint/biometrics notices from USCIS for EAD renewal.

Could you please shed some light ?

Thanks.

It got approved in just over 2 weeks. I applied by mail (RD - 27 Dec) and not online, so I didnt need to do any fingerprint/biometrics. Look at my signature for processing time.

What if without 485 receipt

Actually I don't have my 485 receipt with me, my company lawyer has that and he is not providing me. Can I send my last time finger printing receipt?

Prospect_GC