Lawyer vs self?

coyne203

Registered Users (C)
Folks

Does any one have suggestions on filing the papers with a lawyer vs self? the process seems straightforward but some of the things being mentioned in the forums (with regard to RFE / Name check and so on) does it help have a lawyer? does it make any difference in any of these situations if we have a lawyer? My understanding is that the Lawyer can only help ensure the forms are in order prior to filing but after that its all with USCIS - is that a fair statement? i.e if they ask for any RFE / name check then lawyer or not, its the same situation.

And finally any tips on engaging a lawyer? where do I look for one (weblisting? )critiera in selecting one (i.e. should they be local to where we live / have a long history etc/)

Thanks!

You should be able to file without a lawyer. We did as well as a lot of people on this forum. USCIS forms provide you with specific instructions to filling out the applications.

This forum can answer most questions.The "RFE" Request for Evidence" is simply USCIS asking for additional information (sometimes it is the same stuff a person originally :eek: , but some people fail to submit everything required and they get an RFE) Just try to be thorough when you file. Make sure you keep copy of everything. Sendyour application by certified mail or priorty so you can track paperwork and when you get your NOA ( Notice of Action) register with the Case Status Online to get track of USCIS progress.

Also, use the toll-free number 1-800-375-5283 to get information.

Here is another website that you can get answers to most questions

http://experts.about.com/q/Immigration-Issues-344/index.htm

Unless your case has any obvious significant complicating factors (e.g. previous visa denials, criminal activity) then you can definitely do all of this without a lawyer. It depends on how much effort you're willing to put into educating yourself about the process. You'll certainly save a lot of money doing it yourself.

NeShawn's advice is good. If you make use of this forum and other internet resources you should be fine doing it yourself.

However if you don't want to invest the time or money is no object: Get a Lawyer! :)

Pardon my French but there's not a damn thing a lawyer can do with regards to escaping or landing in namecheck. U can hire a lawyer after u get stuck in namecheck for a while to file a lawsuit....u can even do that urself.

It all depends...some people have a deity-like dependence on lawyers...others don't. I did mine myself..even had a misdemeanor and still didn't get stuck in namecheck...probably because my name's English...I don't know.

Like others said...u need a lawyer when ur case is complicated...if it's pretty much straight-forward then u probably don't unless u don't mind using one.

And to add...sometimes lawyers make the same mistakes laymen make..not because they're ignoramuses but because of the additional bureaucracy.

The instructions on the forms are pretty much self-explanatory...if u get confused u can always seek advice on these pages. To avoid RFE's u must be extra-vigilant...remember the medicals and birth certificates...also the tax stuff...

Sometimes however, someone at USCIS gets bored and sends u an RFE for stuff u already sent....there're a couple of creepy weirdos there that get an adrenaline rush from doing that...for them it's the next best thing to masturbation. Okay I'm kidding...

Good luck and don't be too anxious...u'll be alright.

there is also another option to consider

if ever your case gets "stuck" somewhere in the process you can always call up your local congressman's office and they have people there that can help with just this sort of thing.

Hiring a lawyer...

Hi,

Unless you once had your way with three prostitute and got caught by your landlord, then you don't need to hire a lawyer to do the paperwork..... unless that landlord happen to work for USCIS in your District Office, and unless your landlord happens to be an interviewing officer.... :D

Gazzilions of people hire lawyers for filing their petitions, unless you have about $4000-$6000 to waste on someone telling you things in latin, but basically asking you to brush your teeth each time you come to see him, then
DON'T hire an attorney. :rolleyes:

Any questions that you have, people in this forum can instill much needed bravado to face the beast itself: USCIS. :eek:

Having an English last name doesn't guarantee speedy processing in the name check. I know people who have siberian names and they made it through in the name check.... I thought of changing my name to Siberian last name, so that I can have a speedy name check.... ;)

I personally do not see the need to hire a lawyer, we filed without one and this forum offers enough support for a "normal" case.