Lawyer recommendation for waiver process

bcalmac

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody,

I am just starting my research for a J1 waiver and originally was planning to go with one of those 25K lawyers that takes care of everything. But after I read on this forum about them "preying on J1 students" I became more suspicious (thanks :).

Can some of you recommend from your personal experience a lawyer that was honest and managed to find a waiver job?

Thank you for sharing.

The folks charging 25k are recruiter/lawyer firms who use the J1's vulnerability to extort this kind of 'bond' out of them.

This includes their 'recruiting services' and is not just the legal fee for the filing of the waiver. If you have a position (look in other threads for how to get leads on that), all you need is an attorney to file the requisite paperwork (which btw. many people file by themselves. It is not rocket science and there is not that much 'inside knowledge' involved as some of the 25k extortionists want to make you believe).

A reputable immigration attorney should give you a quote for something like 7-9k for a waiver A-Z. If you do the legwork and all you need is some of their time to review your paperwork you might be better off going with an hourly rate which is usually $250-$350. Also, most people would have an attorney to file the H1b petition itself, but this should 'only' cost around $1500.

Btw. It is NOT the attorney who is going to find you a job. YOU are the one who needs to find a job, the attorney is there to guide you through the somewhat byzantine process of obtaining a waiver and H1b.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I see. The only reason I wanted to go through a recruitment agency is because I thought they have a database of position opportunities and you get to pick from several options as opposed to calling every hospital in the country:)

So you are saying that they would normally only help with the paperwork / legal stuff and it's still my job to find a suitable position?

> OK, I see. The only reason I wanted to go through a recruitment agency
> is because I thought they have a database of position opportunities and
> you get to pick from several options as opposed to calling every hospital
> in the country:)

Their job is to lift $5k out of your pocket as a deposit. After that they will give you scores of 'positions' which unfortunately don't turn into a job for you for some reason or another (mostly bc they are not open positions but rather some addresses they have pulled off an ad or a recruitment database). At some point they will tell you that they think that you didn't keep your part of the bargain and that they will drop you as a client. At that point you will say: Great, give me my deposit back, after all you gave me a money back guarantee. After a year or so and many letters back and forth and phone calls you will realize that you have to sue them to get your money back. Complaints to the Virginia bar association won't help bc the attorney who you thought sponsors the scam has officially no business connection with the recruitment company.

Find your own job. There have been some threads before on how to find good leads and on how to check for the feasability of a waiver in this location.

Why would you call hospitals ? Hospitals might have a recruitment department, but it is typically a physician group who is hiring.

Hadron is right.
Do not call hospitals. Very few community hospitals employ physicians ( unlike academic medical centers and VAMCs). You would be beter off to get a listing of HPSAs by county from the Departemtn of health and human services and then begin the process of going through lsitings in major journals, websites for your specialty. When you find a position you think is in a HPSA use the data base and a map to make sure it is in a county designated as a HPSA ( the Rand MCNeaky atlas demarcates counties). Once you are sure that a postion is in a HPSA contact them directly.

There is really no need for an attorney at any stage if your prospective employer is cooperative. I used an attorney only to file for labor certification and adjustment of status to permanent resident.

schandrag said:
Hadron is right.
Do not call hospitals. Very few community hospitals employ physicians ( unlike academic medical centers and VAMCs). You would be beter off to get a listing of HPSAs by county from the Departemtn of health and human services and then begin the process of going through lsitings in major journals, websites for your specialty. When you find a position you think is in a HPSA use the data base and a map to make sure it is in a county designated as a HPSA ( the Rand MCNeaky atlas demarcates counties). Once you are sure that a postion is in a HPSA contact them directly.

There is really no need for an attorney at any stage if your prospective employer is cooperative. I used an attorney only to file for labor certification and adjustment of status to permanent resident.

I would recommend the following:
1. Narrow down the search to a general geagrahic area you want to be in.
2. Find the HPSA areas in these locations.
3. Go thro YAHOO yellow pages and get a list of physicians practising in these areas.
4. Call these physicians (preferably non-desi), and explain your situation and how things can be worked out. Be honest, sincere during the conversation and do not be ashamed of your J-1 status .You will be surprised how many physicians will be interseted, if your comunication skills are good. After many phone calls you will find a practise you can wark with. It is a time consuming process, however if it works out- then you will be working with a non-abusive (non-desi) employer in a geograhic location of your liking.
5. After you have a job lined-up then call a lawyer for the paper work and to work with the employer.

I don't want to dispute that there are recruiters out there who actually find jobs for their clients. But you have to be aware that the recruiters advertising to the J1's are not part of the usual physician recruiters circle. A regular recruiter gets paid by the PRACTICE, not by the candidate. The practice hires the recruiter to screen candidates, handle CV's and phonecalls, things that would detract the prinicpals from running their business.

In the 'Self help J1 waiver' thread I listed the online resources for the quest for a waiver such as the HPSA database, geographic databases by the US Census bureau and some of the contacts for state departments of health (and some of the peculiarities of their J1 policies). All this is in flux since the bill of Senator Kent Conrad went through congress, but the general process should be the same.

The tip to 'cold call' physician offices in an area you are interested in is good. Some practices would have a need for another associate but shy away from the expense and time required to recruit someone. In a physician practice, an associate typically brings in more revenue than he costs in salary+benefits. Many of the practices located in underserved areas have more than enough work to do, sometimes they are willing to open a branch office in a HPSA if it suits their general plan.

Calling hospitals in rural areas is actually not such a bad idea. I have made the experience that many community hospitals in the south and midwest actually DO have a recruitment office. More physicians mean more revenue for the hospital, so they are usually interested to bring someone in. They either hook you up with one of the local groups, and for people who don't need a H1b employment they will often sponsor the opening of a new practice by guaranteeing an income for the first 2 years (yes, at times hospitals WILL employ physicians. Typically through a small for-profit corp that they maintain for that purpose. This is more common in hospital based specialties such as ICU, path or radiology)

Hi,
First off.. I think that no matter which route you take, you still have to do a substantial amount of work!! If you work with a recruiting firm, you still will pay them money and have to follow up regularly and still may or may not come up wit anything.... I have done this and lost $2500 with global. Also the most valuable asset that you will lose with them is time.... If you dont go with recruiting agency then go ahead and start ...1. Networking... Let friends and colleagues know you are looking for J-1 waiver. Go to your professional association meetings and check out the job opps etc.. Apply to the JAMA ads etc.. although those will probably just not turn out much. Start by looking up the ads online and then see if they are in HPSA area. 2. Good news is that with conrad state 30 you should be able to get a good job. 3. Try not to go with the rural health waiver. 4. Once you get the waiver then try to contact the agency and see if you can do it urself. 5. If you have to have a lawyer then dont pay them $$$$ for the whole package ... do some leg work and pay step by step... you may not need one for H1.
What is your speciality.. and home country....
Wi_lca