• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Lawyer or congressman?

majanikol

Registered Users (C)
Just a simple question for all those who at some point got stuck with their green cards. Since September 30th is approaching slowly but surely, who would you contact: the lawyer or the congressman? Who can be more efficient? Thanks!

Hi Maya,

This is a very good question.
I guess – you pretty much don’t know unless you try both. My understanding so far is that if the local office is busy processing many people, there is chance that the lawyer can do very little to speed up the process. In cases like this it is maybe better to contact the local congressman. This is probably my next step since as of now my lawyer was not able to get any response from CIS regarding the processing of my case. My worst fear is that congressmen are busy people too and may not have the time and/or willingness to deal with such a problem simply because CIS is a federal institution and a congressman may feel that CIS judgment on this matter (to delay my paperwork or not to process it for whatever reasons) is more reliable than my judgment. Oh well, in 2 weeks I’ll give it a try anyway and let’s see what happens – I will keep you posted.

Regards,
sushi

Hi Sushi,

Each state is different. But I know about people who got their green card in Indiana because a senator's assistant on behalf of the senator intervened. In two weeks I definitely contact their office. In the meantime just try to find out who the actual contact person for you is. It is most probably not the senator himself. Nora

Here is what I found while searching for senator's phone number. Would you still contact this senator? :confused:
U.S. Senator David Vitter today voted against an amendment that would have exceeded the limits on immigrants or non citizens working in the United States. “Our borders are wide open, our immigration enforcement completely broken. We need to enact real enforcement before simply letting more non citizens into the country.”

Hi Maya,

Check this website:

http://www.issues2000.org/Senate/David_Vitter.htm

Scroll down and see section "David Vitter on Immigration" - clearly he doesn't favor immigration. Maybe it is better to contact Mary Landrieu, check this:

http://www.issues2000.org/Senate/Mary_Landrieu.htm

Again, scroll down and see section "Mary Landrieu on Immigration" and you will see that she is more willing to favor immigration.

I don't know if this suggestion is the best for you but I hope more people get involved in this discussion so you can choose the best alternative...

It would appear that only winners resident in the US can readily get a congress man, are there any possibilities for us outside the US to get intouch with one. Its really strange to learn that such also the case or the US. Well the end justifies the means.

Hi Maja, my experience with lawer is awful. She told me bunch of missinformations (probably in hope that our case will be solved on its own) so she'll be somehow safe. My congressman's office did a miracle! The women (who is liaison) simply has phone numbers of FBI and CIS and was more than willing to help. She even gave me a call when she got a letter from FBI that my husband's name check was finished. Last year she helped a woman who has a number AFXX2XX to get her green card on the end of September. Also, my senator refered me to a congressman's office. Bottom line: they can help if they want to! Try ASAP there is nothing to lose. I also wrote to the Ombudsman.

Last edited by a moderator: