• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Lawsuit to compel USCIS to process security checks?

nub4057

Registered Users (C)
Is anyone else considering a lawsuit to compel USCIS / other agencies to complete their security checks for Adjustment of Status? The senators office I contacted said they were not able to expedite any security check. I'm just not sure how much it would cost.

Hi nub4057,
when I hired my lawyer, I was told it was going to cost between 500 and 1000, but if they have to go for the lawsuit it will be somwhere around 2000. Since I've already signed that kind of contract I guess I am considering a lawsuit.

cheap?

A lawsuit for only 2000? Lawyers were quoting $3000 just to file my entire application for adjustment of status. I would have thought it would have been upward of $5000.

Do u guys think we have enough time that if we file a lawsuit now, some kind of action can be taken ?

Topetoro

If you want to file a lawsuit check the CM/ECF for a good lawyer. Registration is very cheap 8c per page. But only a lawyer with some cases in the past several years might have a chance. If you go carefully thru all the files in the listed website in your message, you'll see that some of the lawsuits are unsuccesful. Second thing is that the lawsuit does not give you a visa, but only "pushes" eventually CIS to expedite the security check. This is what they call "in writ mandamus". If FBI cannot expedite it for some reasons , then you are in a trap, you cannot win the lawsuit, the court will make a non-favorable decision.
And $5000 and more seems about right for that kind of lawsuit. $2000 is a very small amount and I wouldn't even go with this lawyer. Not that the bigger amount - the greater lawyer, but you know "if it is that cheap, there will be something fishy"
Anyways wish you luck! I cannot imagine the suffering that you guys are going thru.

Hey nub4057,
just a couple of things. I hired the lawyer at the moment that everything was already filed and I even got fingerprinted, so he couldn't charge me for filing my application or for anything other than "pushing my case". I guess that explains the $1000 amount. When it's about the lawsuit, he told me that the "last minute" intervention might go up to $2000. I probably didn't understand what the "last minute" means, so I decided it was a lawsuit. My bad! (BTW, I still don't understand!) The guy is the bes immigration lawyer in the city that I live in, so it's not just a beginner whose first DV case is mine.
Good luck and keep in touch!

topetoro

nub, CM/ECF means case management, electronic case files, i.e. electronic database that you can check by the name of the case or the lawyer what is the status of the case, what was it all about, how many cases have this or that lawyer. very useful in my opinion to give you an idea how experinced is the lawyer in "mandamus" cases against ins. You see a lawyer with no cases like this - just forget it.
of course it is not for free, you have to register and pay by page (8c p.page)
here is the link below.
http://pacer.psc.uscourts.gov/

topetoro

Guys,

I have just read something on the http://www.eskimo.com/~parents/ forum and in my opinion makes a lot of sense. Read message 60611 from Guga and the response from Andrei. Apparently for the citizens of some countires the security checks are more difficult and longer. Of course I am not sure if this is the case for waiting that long for a namecheck, but it is a good explanation though.

My country of birth is Bahrain, and I had undergone special registration and several background check headaches while waiting for H1B visa and so on. This security check was another headache. All in all my security check from the time of fingerprinting (Dec 14th) and approval (Aug 3rd) took 7 and a half months. It may be better or worse for some. Hard to say.