Lawer's fee for RFE

bbt

Registered Users (C)
Should the lawyer be paid for replying to the RFE or is it considered part of I-485 processing fees ?
And any idea how much in general do the lawyers charge if fee for RFE has to be paid to them ?

Thanks.

RD Oct 01, ND Dec 01, FP1 Feb 02, FP2 Jul 03
RFE Aug 26, 03 (haven't received it yet)

Lawyer in DC areas DO NOT charge for RFE response but they do charge if you take them with you during your interview.

RFE is considered as part of processing fee. Basically we hire lawyer for RFEs and NOID. Otherwise everybody know how to fill the form out. :D

I filed my RFE response my self. You don't need a lawyer to respond RFE query if it is simple Employement letter, pay stubs etc.

Some attorneys try to grab as much money as possible from the clients. It actually depends on your contract. My attorney did not charge me for that.

Here is the situation

The lawyer who is on my file left the firm and started her own firm. And in the G-20 form she had the old address. But when the BCIS sent the second FP and now the RFE, they sent it to the old company's address. Is that normal? I thought since the lawyer on the record has a new address, all the correspondence for my case would go to the lawyer at her new address.
Now her old firm is telling me that first I need to pay them(I don't know how much) and then only they will tell me the contents of the RFE. And they also say that they will send the RFE response for me. I don't know if that is the right thing for me since the lawyer on my record doesn't work there anymore.
I have already lost two weeks since RFE was issued and I have no idea how long it will be before I can know what the RFE is for.
I am feeling skeptical about using the services of this company. Is it possible to get the RFE details for them and then send the details through a new lawyer along with a new G-20 form ?

Any suggestions appreciated ...

RD/ND/FP1/FP2/RFE
Oct 01/Dec 01/Feb 02/Jul 03/Aug 03

May be you call BCIS and tell them that you havent received the RFE and ask them to send it to you. Do check this forum as to how soon you have respond to RFE.

bbt,
Find a new attorney and ask him to file G-28 and conver letter to explain your situation. This should fix your problem, if not let me know, I can give more info.

Earlier I was in the same situation.

Hi,
Here is my experience:
After filed my I-485 and I-140 cases, my attorney left his firm. And my cases are automatically transferred to another attorney in the same law firm. After a while, BCIS issued RFE for my I-140, and the new attorney took care of the RFE without any extra charges.

Good luck!

what about G-20

ilfang,
Do you know if the new attorney sent form G-20. I don't know if another attorney from the same law firm can work on your case.

Ok, now I know that the RFE is standard one that many folks got before. But I have couple of things that maybe some can help with.
1. I am in a different location and with a different employer, never informed INS about the job change(but did the address change) the salary on LC is $500 more than the current salary. The employment letter sent along with I-485 application stated much higher salary($25k more than on LC).
2. The job duties mentioned on the LC are totally different than the current job duties, only a little part of it match. The previous lawyer/employyer (I don't know who) messed the LC application by stating totally different job requirements and my suitability for that.
How would these factors affect the process ?
Any inputs appreciated.

BTW, I got the 3rd EAD approved today! :)

RD/ND/FP1/FP2/RFE

bbt,
1) Salary different is not a big deal
2) Definately job description should match. Can you atleast get employment letter from current employer which matches with lc.

In the worst to worst case portion matches, ask them to put in employment letter. This may be enough for BCIS.

Ok, now I know that the RFE is standard one that many folks got before. But I have couple of things that maybe some can help with.
1. I am in a different location and with a different employer, never informed INS about the job change(but did the address change) the salary on LC is $500 more than the current salary. The employment letter sent along with I-485 application stated much higher salary($25k more than on LC).
2. The job duties mentioned on the LC are totally different than the current job duties, only a little part of it match. The previous lawyer/employyer (I don't know who) messed the LC application by stating totally different job requirements and my suitability for that.
How would these factors affect the process ?
Any inputs appreciated.

BTW, I got the 3rd EAD approved today! :)

RD/ND/FP1/FP2/RFE

manumahi

Should the software/language match as well in the employment letter with the one on LC or matching the general work nature is fine?
My LC says VB/C++ but I work in Unix/Oracle. I never worked in VB/C++, but it is there on LC. Will it be okay if I mention Unix/Oracle in my letter, or just omit these details ?

RD/ND/FP1/FP2/RFE

bbt

If you know what your LC says, then you are one of the luckiest guys here. Put the same skillset (in addition to unix/oracle) in your current employer letter also.

One more question Did you move to another Consulting company or Client company.

If it is consulting company they don't mind adding these details.

If it is client company you can sort out this by talking to HR department. No body wants to loose a employee based on silly reason.

I joined the client

And I have requested them to send the letter with the required job description. Hope they will do it.