Last Name change -- No NC certificate

nvk2003usa

Registered Users (C)
My wife applied for last name change (spouse's last name) in N-400 application. During the interview, the IO decided no Name Change certificate needed (based on Indian marraige certificate).

She completed oath yesterday. Naturalization certificate issued on new last name without any name change document. Does she face any issues with changing name on licence, SSN and getting OCI card?

Passport shouldn't be an issue. But I am not sure about other name change procedures. Shall I apply for legal name change through court?

Please share your experience if you are in the same boat.

you are cool dude ..your wife got your last name! thats the default in US.
You(your wife)now need to get in touch with all the places and process last name change ..should be easy.
start with SSN office, DMV, all banks, credit cards, AAA cards, her voice mail names ..list is endless ..

My wife applied for last name change (spouse's last name) in N-400 application. During the interview, the IO decided no Name Change certificate needed (based on Indian marraige certificate).

She completed oath yesterday. Naturalization certificate issued on new last name without any name change document. Does she face any issues with changing name on licence, SSN and getting OCI card?

Passport shouldn't be an issue. But I am not sure about other name change procedures. Shall I apply for legal name change through court?

What is your DO ?

are you saying that USCIS did not give you a court document showing name change...? A little strange ...Was her GC or National Passport under your last name ? If yes, she had already adopted your name. No worries.

That is said, this should not be any concern in US in any way as you have a Naturalization document issued by Federal Government. Perhaps, it could be an issue in India and may be in some states -realestate documents (again, for US you should be able to explain this)

She took her spouse's last name, so the marriage certificate can be used as her name change certificate.

If the name change was something different, she would need a separate name change certificate.

Not necessary, she has the marriage certificate, and the naturalization certificate already shows the new name.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are in Minnesota. St.Paul. My wife has all the previous documents (Indian passport, Green cred etc) with here maiden name. I only have NC & Indian marraige certificate to support the new last name. Now DMV is asking for a name change document..Need to try my luck at SSN office today.

I only have NC & Indian marraige certificate to support the new last name. Now DMV is asking for a name change document..
The DMV wouldn't accept the marriage certificate?

Did she keep using her maiden name for years after getting married? Maybe that's why they won't accept the marriage certificate as evidence of the name change.

Last edited by a moderator:
The DMV wouldn't accept the marriage certificate?

Did she keep using her maiden name for years after getting married? Maybe that's why they won't accept the marriage certificate as evidence of the name change.

I agree with Jack. You guys created this problem yourself...It has nothing to do with USCIS. Your spouse should have adopted your ast name after the marriage in accordance with the marriage certificate.

Her name change document is the marriage certificate.

We are in Minnesota. St.Paul. My wife has all the previous documents (Indian passport, Green cred etc) with here maiden name. I only have NC & Indian marraige certificate to support the new last name. Now DMV is asking for a name change document..Need to try my luck at SSN office today.

Are you suggesting that DMV won't accept her Naturalization Certificate? If you sent the NC off for her passport (and hence don't have any documents with her married name on them), you have to wait until you get either the passport or NC back.

We are in a similar situation. My wife got her US passport without any hassle and she has applied for SSN card with the new last name, after receiving her passport. Once she gets her SSN card, she will approach the DMV. DMV is the least knowledgeable of all, so this order made sense to us.

No problems, whatsoever, with OCI so far. She sent a copy of the our marriage certificate and an affidavit saying that she took my last name through the naturalization process and that she was not given any name change certificate for it.

You see the point: DMV is at the lowest end of the wisdom spectrum (sorry; that's a strong word).

DMV is still concern and still does not accept your documents..Get US passport with new last name.

nvk2003usa,

I am in a similor situation, I am just wondering what happened in your case. For my wife SSA office wanted a Name Change certificate along with Naturalization Certificate. I had to show them that SSA check list for Name change ( took it from there website which says Naturalization certificate or Court order). I am not sure how long does it take it get the SSN card. SSA lady at the counter says she checked the USCIS database, and the citizenship status not updated yet. I am waiting for card to come to update DL.

nvk2003usa,

I am in a similor situation, I am just wondering what happened in your case. For my wife SSA office wanted a Name Change certificate along with Naturalization Certificate. I had to show them that SSA check list for Name change ( took it from there website which says Naturalization certificate or Court order). I am not sure how long does it take it get the SSN card. SSA lady at the counter says she checked the USCIS database, and the citizenship status not updated yet. I am waiting for card to come to update DL.

They wouldn't accept a naturalization certificate? That is just idiotic. Social Security people are dumber than the DMV people.
But then, when we got married, they changed my wife's maiden name as well to my last name and then refused to acknowledge the mistake. According to them it was impossible to change a birth name once it was entered in their computers. So I asked how come my wife's current SS Card had her maiden name on it and the lady at the counter had no answer. She just said "All I can tell you that it is in the computer that way and I didn't make the mistake" (Yeah Right!)

Talk to a supervisor and if that doesn't work, talk to your local TV news person who helps people with consumer affairs.